President’s aide seeks better welfare for ex-internationals

by · The Eagle Online

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Grassroots Sports Development, Adeyinka Adeboye, has urged greater recognition and support for former Nigerian internationals who once brought honour to the country through sports.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President spoke on Friday during a briefing for the 2026 Ex-International Cup in Lagos.

Adeboye said many former athletes sacrificed greatly for Nigeria but had received inadequate reward and recognition for their contributions to national development.

He said: “I have seen some of these great sportsmen and women who made Nigeria proud, and I feel more should be done for them.

“I am talking about what we can do for them now, not in the future. 

“We should not wait until they die before celebrating them.

“While the ex-internationals are alive, let us support them through competitions like this and other meaningful initiatives.” 

Adeboye said former athletes entertained Nigerians and deserved the opportunity to enjoy life after years of service and sacrifice.

He described the 2026 Ex-International Cup as a positive initiative aimed at honouring Nigerian sports legends.

He commended the Lagos State Football Association (LSFA), led by Liameed Gafaar, for organising the competition.

He added: “The LSFA and sponsor, Bet9ja, have contributed immensely to football and sports development in Lagos State and Nigeria.

“I want other states to emulate Lagos by organising similar competitions for ex-internationals in their respective states.”

The Lagos State Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Bolaji Ogunlende, praised the organisers and reaffirmed government commitment to youth-focused programmes.

Ogunlende said: “The government cannot do it alone. 

“If we truly want solutions to our challenges, we must tell ourselves the truth. 

“When private organisations support initiatives like this, we can only express appreciation on behalf of the Lagos State Government.”

Aisha Falode, representing the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Ibrahim Gusau, praised ex-internationals for their patriotism and contributions to Nigerian sports.

Falode said the former athletes deserved every recognition and appreciation accorded to them for their dedication and achievements.

Meanwhile, Gafaar said inclusiveness made the 2026 tournament unique, with 32 ex-internationals participating in the competition.

The LSFA chairman added: “We almost had 40 participants, but the first 32 who registered and showed interest were selected.

“It is using history to create history. 

“These ex-internationals are encouraging young players and boosting their confidence through this competition.” 

Gafaar said the tournament draw reflected European-style organisation and would strengthen football culture in Lagos.

He added that although competitive, the competition would not become a do-or-die affair because adequate arrangements had been made for participants.

A former international, Waidi Akanni, said the tournament would also strengthen friendship and bonding among retired footballers.

Another former international, Friday Ekpo, described the competition as a thoughtful initiative that would unite ex-players through regular interaction.

Ekpo said: “This competition gives us joy. 

“We want to come together, interact, and enjoy ourselves while reliving old memories.

“Whether you lose or win, you keep coming back because that is what keeps everyone going.”

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that 32 teams will compete in the 2026 International Cup across Lagos State’s five divisions.

Follow The Eagle Online Channel on WhatsApp

[wpadcenter_ad id='745970' align='none']