FIFA World Cup: DR Congo asked to undergo 21-day isolation due to Ebola outbreak
Congo's World Cup 2026 preparations have been disrupted after US authorities ordered a 21-day isolation bubble for the squad in Belgium amid an Ebola outbreak in the African nation.
by Amar Sunil Panicker · India TodayIn Short
- Congo face 21-day isolation ahead of FIFA World Cup 2026
- Ebola outbreak forces strict US entry rules for Congo squad
- Congo risk World Cup travel ban if health bubble is breached
Congo’s preparations for the FIFA World Cup 2026 have been thrown into uncertainty after the United States imposed strict health protocols on the national team amid an Ebola outbreak in the African nation.
As per Reuters, reported by ESPN, Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed on Friday that Congo’s delegation has been instructed to remain in a controlled isolation bubble in Belgium for 21 days before being allowed entry into the United States.
“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN.
“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”
The move comes after Congo confirmed an outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola earlier this month. According to reports, more than 130 people have died, with nearly 600 suspected cases recorded so far.
Giuliani said the US administration was unwilling to take any risks when it came to public health and border safety during the World Cup.
“We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this,” he said, as quoted by ESPN.
Congo are set to feature in Group K at the FIFA World Cup 2026, with their opening match scheduled against Portugal in Houston on June 17. They will then face Colombia in Guadalajara, Mexico, on June 23 before wrapping up the group stage against Uzbekistan in Atlanta on June 27.
In response to the outbreak, Congo had already shifted their preparations away from home soil. The team cancelled a planned training camp in Kinshasa and relocated to Belgium, where they are set to play Denmark in a friendly in Liege on June 3. Another warm-up fixture against Chile is scheduled in southern Spain on June 9.
Despite the health scare, most of Congo’s squad are based outside the country, with several players active in European football. The squad includes Premier League names such as West Ham defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Newcastle United forward Yoane Wissa, while captain Chancel Mbemba currently plays for Lille in France. French coach Sebastien Desabre also remains with the team as preparations continue under tight restrictions.
- Ends