Man dies after falling in front of oncoming train at Segar LRT Station - Singapore News
· The IndependentSINGAPORE: A 68-year-old man died after falling onto the track in front of an oncoming train at Segar LRT Station early on Monday morning, causing several hours of disruption along part of the Bukit Panjang Light Rail Transit (LRT) line. The incident happened at about 5 a.m.
Police said the man was later pronounced dead at the scene by a paramedic from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). Another person was taken to Woodlands Hospital. Preliminary findings found no signs of foul play, although investigations remain ongoing.
The disruption stretched into the morning peak period and affected train services between Senja and Bukit Panjang stations before normal operations resumed, Channel NewsAsia (CNA) reported (May 18).
A case of track intrusion and morning train disruption that reached beyond the station
SMRT first alerted commuters to a major delay at around 6 am. Initial advisories described the issue as a track intrusion. Later updates stated that a man had been seen near the track area before falling onto the track at Segar Station.
Train services between Petir and Senja stations in both directions were temporarily suspended to allow police officers safe access for investigations. To reduce commuter disruption, free regular buses and bridging bus services were activated before being withdrawn around 10.20 am after train operations resumed.
SMRT also said commuters who needed an e-Travel Chit could submit requests through its website. Lam Sheau Kai, president of SMRT Trains, said the operator was assisting with investigations and had contacted the family to provide support during the difficult period.
When a single human incident can affect thousands of other people at once
Singapore’s rail disruptions draw fast reactions online, usually centred on delays and reliability, but this incident was different from the usual.
Public discussion leaned less toward transport frustration and more toward concern for those directly affected, including frontline rail staff, emergency responders and commuters who may have witnessed the scene.
Events like this show that transport systems run on schedules and engineering, yet remain shared public spaces where a single human incident can affect thousands of other people at once.
The distinction decides how updates were communicated throughout the morning, as operators balanced service recovery with ongoing investigations.
Reminder: Stay behind platform safety markings, avoid restricted areas, and give rail staff space to manage incidents safely
The Bukit Panjang LRT is an 8km system linking neighbourhoods in Bukit Panjang and Choa Chu Kang to the North-South Line and Downtown Line.
Last November, the Land Transport Authority said about 88 per cent of the Bukit Panjang LRT renewal programme had been completed, with full completion targeted by the fourth quarter of 2026. There is no indication that the renewal works were linked to Monday’s incident. Still, the disruption showed how rapidly a single incident can ripple through a tightly connected transport network.
For commuters, the practical lesson is to stay behind platform safety markings, avoid restricted areas, and give rail staff space to manage incidents safely, because public transport works best when safety remains routine rather than something people only think about after a difficult day.
- Advertisement -