New Zealand call up replacements after concussion injuries in first test
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
JOHANNESBURG, Aug 22 : New Zealand have called up veteran prop forward Ofa Tu’ungafasi and promising lock Jamie Hannah to their tour squad in South Africa as injury replacements for Ethan de Groot and Josh Lord, who were hurt in Saturday's first test win over the Springboks in Johannesburg, the New Zealand Rugby Union said.
De Groot and Lord went off near the end of the first half of the All Blacks' 33-16 win at Ellis Park after blows to the head and must go through the World Rugby concussion protocols, likely ruling them out of next week's second test in Cape Town.
The 34-year-old Tu’ungafasi, who played at the last two World Cups for the All Blacks, and Hannah, who won his first cap as a late injury replacement against France in the Nations Championship last month, will leave New Zealand on Sunday to arrive in South Africa on Monday, the NZRU said.
New Zealand have already brought in four replacements in the first fortnight of their six-week, eight-match tour of South Africa, where they have won the opening four matches.
Newsletter
Recommended Read
Subscribe to CNA's Recommended Read
A single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app