Suspect 'down' after shooting at officers near White House, official says
The suspect was identified as an emotionally disturbed person, the official said, adding that a "stay-away order" had been issued to the suspect previously.
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
WASHINGTON: Officers at a White House checkpoint responded to gunshots on Saturday evening (May 23), and a shooting suspect was "down" and taken to a hospital, a law enforcement official told Reuters.
A bystander was also shot, the official said, adding that both individuals were said to be in critical condition.
US President Donald Trump was at the White House at the time as he worked to negotiate a deal with Iran.
A person approached the checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House and started shooting at officers, according to the official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the investigation.
The suspect is "down" and was transported to George Washington Hospital, the official said.
He did not specify the suspect's condition or how he was brought down.
The suspect was identified as an emotionally disturbed person, the official said, adding that a "stay-away order" had been issued to the suspect previously.
Earlier, the US Secret Service said it was investigating the incident and FBI Director Kash Patel said his agency was supporting the probe.
CNA Games
Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time
Buzzword
Create words using the given letters
Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser
Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge
Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less
Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told AFP he was in the area when "we heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they're gunshots, and then everyone started running."
Journalists who were on the White House North Lawn at the time said on X that they were ordered to run and shelter in the press briefing room.
ABC News correspondent Selina Wang had been recording a video for social media when the apparent gunfire broke out, capturing the sounds of the shots as she dove to the ground.
"It sounded like dozens of gunshots," she said on X.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app