Sailing-Australia launches first America's Cup challenge for 25 years
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
MELBOURNE, May 13 : Australia launched its first challenge for the America's Cup in a quarter of a century, entering a team for the 38th edition of the historic sailing event in Naples, Italy next year.
The Royal Prince Edward Yacht Club said on Wednesday it had issued a Notice of Challenge to the defending New Zealand Yacht Squadron, with the bid backed by local businessman John Winning Jr, who skippered supermaxi Andoo Comanche to line honours in the 2022 Sydney to Hobart blue-water classic.
Tom Slingsby, Olympic gold medallist and a two-time world sailor of the year, will join Team Australia as head of sailing, while three-time America's Cup winner Glenn Ashby was named as head of performance and design, the yacht club later added.
"The challenge represents not only our Club, but Australia on the world stage, continuing our proud legacy in sailing's most prestigious competition," Royal Prince Edward Yacht Club's Commodore Sven Runow said in a statement to members.
CNA Games
Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time
Buzzword
Create words using the given letters
Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser
Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge
Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less
Australia II, skippered by John Bertrand, famously ended the New York Yacht Club's 132-year-old stranglehold over the America's Cup trophy in 1983.
Grant Simmer, a member of that winning campaign, was named as chief executive of Team Australia by the club.
Australia has not participated since the 2000 edition of the coveted cup won by New Zealand, when the Young Australia syndicate's bid led by 20-year-old Jimmy Spithill finished well down the standings in the qualifying Louis Vuitton Cup.
"There's a huge sense of excitement around what we're building together, and I'm incredibly proud to be part of the beginning of this new chapter for Australian sailing," Slingsby said, adding that it had been a dream throughout his career.
Ashby said the team would use "modern engineering and design tools, simulation and performance optimization" to make sure it was ready to compete in Naples early next year.
"For more than half my sailing career I have had a dream to see an Australian team return to the pinnacle event of our sport of sailing," Ashby, who helped lead New Zealand to victory in previous America's Cup events, added in a statement.
The rules for the event will require at least one female sailor to be included in each crew for the first time, with teams competing for the "Auld Mug" in AC75 foiling monohulls.
Team Australia sailor Tash Bryant said it felt like "an exciting new era" for the America's Cup, which was first raced off the south coast of England in 1851.
"The evolution of the boats and the competition is opening the door to broader opportunities and visibility for women in elite sailing, while also creating clearer pathways for younger generations coming through the sport," she added.
Newsletter
Recommended Read
Subscribe to CNA's Recommended Read
A single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app