An area near a coal mine in Shanxi province, the coal-mining capital of China, on Nov 3, 2021. (File photo: AFP/Noel Celis)

Four dead, 90 trapped in China coal mine accident

More than 240 miners were underground at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi Province when the accident occurred on Friday night.

· CNA · Join

Read a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST

BEIJING: Four workers died and 90 were trapped underground at a coal mine in northern China after carbon monoxide reached dangerous levels at the site, the official Xinhua News Agency reported early Saturday (May 23).

A total of 247 miners were underground at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi Province when the accident occurred Friday night, the agency said.

The four casualties were among 157 miners who had been brought to the surface. Of the 90 trapped, 16 were in critical condition, Xinhua said, as rescue efforts continued.

Shanxi Province is the coal-mining capital of China.

The Asian superpower is the world's top consumer of coal and the largest greenhouse gas emitter, despite installing renewable energy capacity at record speed.

Mine safety in China has improved in recent decades but accidents still occur frequently in an industry where safety protocols are often lax.

Source: AFP/gs

Newsletter

Week in Review

Subscribe to our Chief Editor’s Week in Review

Our chief editor shares analysis and picks of the week's biggest news every Saturday.

Newsletter

Morning Brief

Subscribe to CNA’s Morning Brief

An automated curation of our top stories to start your day.

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Download here

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Join here