Middlesbrough call for Southampton playoff final ban over spying row
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
May 15 : Middlesbrough demanded on Friday that Southampton be kicked out of the Championship playoff final after accusing their rivals of secretly filming their training session before their playoff semi-final.
Middlesbrough expressed frustration after being blocked from joining disciplinary proceedings launched by the English Football League against Southampton, saying they hold "relevant factual evidence" about the alleged spying incident.
The final, dubbed the "richest game in football" because of the huge financial rewards of playing in England's top flight, will be played at Wembley Stadium.
Southampton were charged by the EFL last week after Middlesbrough complained of unauthorised filming at their training ground.
CNA Games
Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time
Buzzword
Create words using the given letters
Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser
Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge
Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less
Southampton CEO Phil Parsons said on Tuesday that they were fully cooperating while also undertaking an internal review to ensure that all facts and context were properly understood.
Southampton will play Hull City for a place in the Premier League on May 23 after beating Middlesbrough 2-1 in their Championship playoff semi-final second leg.
"The conduct at issue, namely the observation and recording of our training session ahead of a fixture of such significance, goes to the heart of sporting integrity and fair competition," Middlesbrough said in a statement.
"In these circumstances, the only appropriate response is a sporting sanction which would prevent Southampton FC from participating in the EFL Championship playoff final.
"We remain hopeful that the EFL, as regulator, will pursue such a sanction before the Disciplinary Commission in order to protect the integrity of the game, safeguard all member clubs, and deter any attempt in the future to obtain an unfair and unlawful advantage in pursuit of promotion to the Premier League."
Middlesbrough also said they would take legal action if needed.
Newsletter
Recommended Read
Subscribe to CNA's Recommended Read
A single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app