Liberia: "Three Excavators Confiscated": Ministry of Mines and Energy Launches Nationwide Crackdown on Illegal Mining Operations - FrontPageAfrica

by · FrontPageAfrica

Monrovia– The Ministry of Mines and Energy, with support from state security, has arrested one Liberian and two Indian nationals in Skinner Village, Grand Cape Mount County, for allegedly engaging in illicit and illegal mining activities.


By J.H. Webster Clayeh


During a press conference at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, Minister R. Matenokay Tingban announced that three excavators used in the operations had been seized.

“Three excavators used in carrying out these unlawful operations and causing significant environmental damage were confiscated and are currently in the possession of the Ministry,” Minister Tingban told journalists.

The confiscated excavators were later displayed at the Ministry’s compound as evidence of the ongoing enforcement operation.

Minister Tingban reaffirmed the Ministry’s commitment to regulating Liberia’s mineral sector in line with the Minerals and Mining Law of 2000 and the Mining Regulations of Liberia.

“You see these huge machineries, people take and illegally deployed it in the counties. They go there and mine our mineral illegally and we have just discovered that even when they are mining, they don’t report it, there is no traceability, they just take it across the border,” Minister Tingban said.

He further detailed the arrests in Grand Cape Mount County. He added: “This was just in Grand Cape Mount County, they deployed this those two Indians guys along with a Liberian were arrested with these things, no trace of documents, they do not have any mining authorization from the Ministry of Mines and Energy. They just willfully decided to take the machineries to destroy our land, take the minerals away and they think they can walk free.”

Minister Tingban emphasized that illicit mining has become a major topic of discussion at Cabinet meetings under the leadership of President Joseph Boakai.

“If you think that Liberia had been a floodgate before right now Liberia is never a floodgate. Under the responsible leadership of President Joseph Boakai, this issue was discussed in Cabinet Meetings the other day,” he said.

He added that the government remains determined to prevent the smuggling of Liberia’s mineral resources.

He added: “The issue of illicit mining, the issue about smuggling our resources out of the country. While we are fighting hard to make sure that Liberia gets on the rightful footing of progress and development, we are not going to compromise.”

According to the Minister, the Ministry has intensified nationwide compliance enforcement efforts against illegal mining activities.

“The Ministry continues to intensify nationwide compliance enforcement actions against illicit and illegal mining activities that threaten the environment, undermine lawful investment, and deprive the Government and people of Liberia of legitimate benefits from the country’s mineral resources,” he added.

The Ministry says it has also been conducting public awareness and sensitization campaigns on responsible mining practices and Liberia’s Mining Law.

These initiatives were recently carried out in Penokan Village, Grand Gedeh County, through the Bureau of Mines and the Inspectorate Division to improve compliance and strengthen community understanding of lawful mining operations.

Minister Tingban issued a warning to individuals and companies engaged in illegal mining across Liberia. “Let me send this as a strong warning to all individuals and entities engaged in illicit mining activities across Liberia. The Ministry of Mines and Energy will not tolerate violations of the Minerals and Mining Law,” he said.

Minister Tingban outlined several recent crackdowns on illegal mining activities across the country. On April 21, 2026, the Ministry issued a closure order against Alex Gee Group of Companies in Belle-Yallah after discovering that the company’s Class “B” Mining License had not been renewed for the 2025/2026 period.

On April 22, 2026, authorities dismantled an illegal mining site in Gbayea Town, Tchien District, allegedly operated by several Chinese nationals who fled before the enforcement team arrived. Investigations are ongoing to identify and arrest those involved.

The Ministry also destroyed several dredges being used for illicit gold mining on the Cavalla River. Officials say dredge mining significantly contributes to mercury pollution, threatening water bodies and rural communities.

Konobo District

Bounteous Mining Company, operating in Ghana Camp, Konobo District, was shut down for conducting mining activities with incomplete documentation. Investigations into the company’s operations remain ongoing.

Rivercess County

On April 18, 2026, the Ministry shut down JinXin Mining Company for operating without a valid mining license.

Investigations revealed that the company had been illegally operating within an area belonging to Cheng Mining Company, which holds a Prospecting License.

Authorities noted that JinXin Mining Company had previously been instructed in January 2026 to halt operations and obtain proper documentation, but failed to comply.

Lofa County

On May 8, 2026, authorities brought under control an illegal dredge mining operation in Voinjama, Lofa County. An alleged illicit miner identified as Mark Polo was arrested through collaboration with state security after reportedly establishing an illegal mining installation on the Lofa River.

According to the Ministry, Mining Agent Alieu S. Konneh reported that the suspect resisted directives to halt operations. Minister Tingban said: “The Ministry gathered from Mining Agent Alieu S. Konneh that the suspect refused to comply with directives to discontinue operations and instead physically attacked the Mining Agent with machetes and a single-barrel firearm, resulting in a violent confrontation.”

Minister Tingban concluded by stating that the Ministry possesses documented evidence from the nationwide operations. “The Ministry possesses video and pictorial evidence of this incident and other enforcement operations conducted across the country,” Minister Tingban said.