EU urged to use obscure blocking statute to protect International Criminal Court from Trump sanctions
by https://euobserver.com/author/benjamin-fox/ · EUobserverPlace holders with names of ICC participant states (Photo: Coalition for the ICC)
Unlock article and share
By Benjamin Fox,
Nairobi
,
The EU has been urged to hit back at Donald Trump’s administration’s sanctions campaign against the International Criminal Court – by invoking a little-known ‘blocking statute’ that would ban companies and banks from complying with the sanctions.
The Trump administration has stepped up its campaign to break the Hague-based court by withdrawing from the Rome Statute that created it and urging its allies to do the same.
And last week, US secretary of state Marco Rubio announced the imposition of sanctions including asset freezes and financial sanctions on 18 August, targeting the ICC’s president Judge Tomoko Akane and Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, a senior trial lawyer in the court’s prosecution office.
Rubio called the ICC a “corrupt and fatally-politicised supranational court”.
Though US officials have rarely been targeted by ICC indictments, Rubio’s move is part of a broader Trump administration push to undermine the UN and other multilateral organisations.
On Wednesday (19 August), the EU’s diplomatic chief, Kaja Kallas, offered the EU’s “unwavering support” for the ICC, which she described as a “cornerstone of the international criminal justice system and the global fight against impunity”.
In co-ordinated statements on X, meanwhile, European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen and European Council president António Costa gave their backing for the court.
“The ICC helps deliver justice to the victims of some of the world’s most horrific crimes," they said, adding that "to carry out this essential work, its judges and officials must be able to act independently and without external pressure.”
But ICC and some EU officials want the bloc to go further in response to the US sanctions. In March 2025, Akane told a European Parliament hearing that the EU should bring the ICC within the scope of its blocking statute, the 1996 regulation that prohibits European operators from complying with foreign extraterritorial sanctions.
To read this story, log in or subscribe
Enjoy access to all articles and 25 years of archives, comment and gift articles. Become a subscriber for as low as €1,75 per week.
Read without limits
Already a subscriber? Login
Unlock article and share
Latest from Africa
EU raises alarm on election irregularities in Zambia, chief recipient of Global Gateway money
BRICS countries condemn EU carbon tax as ‘punitive and protectionist’
Latest from ICC
Europe is creating a new international court for Putin — one he may never face while in power
The ICC is in its worst crisis yet — and Europe’s double standards are a big part of the problem
Latest from Trump
As Trump weaponises US law abroad, Brussels faces sovereignty test
Stop letting the ‘liberals vs populists’ story turn the far-right into the only alternative
Latest from EU and the World
Spain to care for lone migrant children, as EU Commission joins far-right calls to send them back
Ukrainian spy chief predicts Putin’s plans: missile terrorism and Donbas meat-grinding (Ukraine Battlefield update, Day 1,638)
Place holders with names of ICC participant states (Photo: Coalition for the ICC)
Topics
Author Bio
Benjamin Fox is our trade and geopolitics editor. His reporting has also been published in the Guardian, the East African, Euractiv, Private Eye and Africa Confidential, among others. He is based in Nairobi, Kenya, although he often reports from London.
+ Follow author by email