Trump to scale back U.S. joint military exercises with South Korea
· UPIAug. 16 (UPI) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday he ordered the Pentagon to scale back its joint military exercises with South Korea, saying that Seoul declined to help the denuclearization of Iran.
In a social media post, Trump said the drills scheduled to begin this week are expensive and "send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea. He said North Korea "has been unthreatening and respectful" white he has been in the White House.
"Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!" Trump wrote.
The exercises, involving 18,000 South Korean troops over 11 days, were to strengthen readiness against threats from North Korea.
North Korea last week denounced the drills, calling them a provocation that would raise tensions in the region.
On Saturday, Trump posted a June 2019 photo of his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the Korean Demilitarized Zone. He wrote that he gets along "GREAT!" with Kim "despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture."