F1 Las Vegas Grand Prix recognized as annual event through 2037

by · Las Vegas Review-Journal

Clark County approved a resolution recognizing the Formula One Las Vegas Grand Prix as an annual event through 2037, with the understanding that race officials will condense the setup and teardown time for the annual event.

Board of Clark County Commissioners chairman Michael Naft made sure that it was known that the county is expecting Grand Prix officials to make infrastructure improvements before putting the matter up for a vote. The commission unanimously passed the updated resolution, which added five years to the previous resolution that ran through 2032.

“I support this, but it’s got to come with very clear parameters that the purpose of more time is to condense the timeline,” Naft said. “I think there are clear things that have been demonstrated through the work that you and (Clark County manager Kevin Schiller’s) office has done, in conjunction with the organizers, that set a path for a condensed timeline and condensed disruption. It’s going to be really important that the county make sure to stay on that point.”

Schiller, when introducing the item at Tuesday’s meeting, highlighted some of the improvements that F1 will make to improve the installation and removal of race infrastructure.

“Those include track lighting foundations, underground conduit for power and communication and installation of permanent gates related to improved traffic road flow,” Schiller said. “As you know this is a significant economic impact to our community, in upwards of $1 billion and it employs many people within the community. I think that this is a continued effort for us to continue to improve the process as we annualized this event through 2037.”

Last year there was around a four-month time frame from when the track started to be assembled, when the race takes place, to when the track was dismantled. That is about five months less than the inaugural race in 2023, where nine months of work occurred, mainly tied to the 3.8-mile course being paved to standards set by F1 and their governing body, the FIA.

The resolution requires the Grand Prix to host the race each year the weekend before Thanksgiving and allows various county ordinances to be waived to allow the race to occur each year on the Strip. The race will also take place on the same 3.8-mile street circuit which includes public roads including Las Vegas Boulevard, Koval Lane and Harmon and Sands avenues.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority is working on its own extension of its agreement with F1 to host the race in Las Vegas each year. The latest agreement guarantees the race occurs in Southern Nevada through 2027, with a new five-to-10-year deal being worked on.

Each of the first three Las Vegas Grand Prix events have been announced as sellouts by F1, with this year’s race scheduled to occur Nov. 19-21.