Israeli naval forces sail a confiscated Gaza-bound flotilla boat into Israel's Ashdod port after intercepting the vessel on the Mediterranean Sea, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit)

IDF intercepts all ships in Gaza-bound flotilla, over 400 activists being transferred to Israel

Foreign Ministry denounces Global Sumud Flotilla’s attempt to break blockade as ‘a PR stunt at the service of Hamas,’ stresses rubber bullets were fired at ships and not activists

by · The Times of Israel

The Foreign Ministry announced late Tuesday that the latest activist flotilla aiming to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza has “come to an end,” with more than 400 activists taken to Israel.

Israeli commandos intercepted all of the more than 50 boats in the flotilla. A live feed on the Global Sumud Flotilla’s website showed soldiers boarding the vessels as activists in life vests put their hands up. The troops then destroyed cameras mounted on the ships.

“Another PR flotilla has come to an end,” the Foreign Ministry wrote in a post on X. “All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives. This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas. Israel will continue to act in full accordance with international law and will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza.”

The Global Sumud Flotilla later confirmed that all 50 boats were intercepted, saying 428 participants from more than 40 countries detained were detained, including 78 Turks.

Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani called for an urgent review of Israel’s use of force after Italian activists said soldiers fired rubber bullets at vessels, which was also reported by Hebrew media. Flotilla organizers claimed Israeli soldiers fired on five boats during the interdictions, with some damage. There were no reports of casualties.

“At no point was live ammunition fired,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement earlier on Tuesday. “Following multiple warnings, non-lethal means were employed toward the vessel – not toward protesters – as a warning.”

Additional footage circulating online appeared to show Israeli authorities blasting “Michelle” by Noam Bettan, Israel’s entry in the recent Eurovision Song Contest, through the speakers of at least one flotilla vessel. In similar footage circulated Monday, Israeli authorities were seen playing “Oops!… I Did It Again” by Britney Spears through at least one of the flotilla boats’ speakers.

The Israel Defense Forces began stopping the flotilla around 167 miles (268 kilometers) from the Gaza coastline, according to the flotilla’s website. The vessels departed last week from Marmaris, Turkey, which along with Gaza-ruling Palestinian terrorist group Hamas called the interdictions an act of “piracy.”

The flotilla urged governments and world leaders to demand the activists’ “immediate and unconditional release” and to ensure they receive legal and consular help without delay.

The United States Treasury meanwhile announced on Tuesday it was imposing sanctions against four people associated with the “pro-Hamas” flotilla. US authorities said the sanctioned individuals were associated with the Popular Conference for Palestinians Abroad (PCPA), a group that Washington says works as a front for armed Palestinian groups, including Hamas.

Some were accused of association with the Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, which Israel and the United States accuse of being a front for terrorist groups.

The sanctioned individuals included Saif Abu Keshek, a Spanish national of Palestinian origin who was one of two activists detained by Israel during the interception of a previous flotilla that set off from Spain last month, before they were both deported. The others to be sanctioned in connection with the aid flotillas were Belgium-based Mohammed Khatib, and Spain-based Hisham Abdallah Sulayman Abu Mahfuz and Jaldia Abubakra Aueda.

Spanish activist Saif Abu Keshek arrives at a court in Ashkelon on May 3, 2026. (Ilia YEFIMOVICH / AFP)

The organizers of the latest flotilla said they expect the activists to be taken to the port of Ashdod, in southern Israel. Activists on previous flotillas were brought to the same port, where some were processed and immediately deported, while others were detained before they were deported.

The flotilla was led by Turkish aid organization IHH, which is designated in Israel as a terror organization and which organized the 2010 Mavi Marmara flotilla to Gaza.

During that flotilla, 10 Turkish activists were killed in a violent confrontation with Israeli naval commandos aboard a ship that aimed to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza.