Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House in Washington on July 23, 2025. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) **FILE** Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard … more >

Gabbard resigning as director of national intelligence, citing husband’s cancer

by · The Washington Times

Tulsi Gabbard is resigning from her post as director of national intelligence, disclosing that her husband is battling cancer.

“Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026,” she told President Trump in her formal resignation letter. “My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer [and] faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months.

“At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle.”

She added, “His strength and love have sustained me through every challenge. I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming position.”

“At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle,” Ms. Gabbard wrote.

Confirming her departure, President Trump said on social media, “Unfortunately, after having done a great job, Tulsi Gabbard will be leaving the Administration on June 30th.”

He added that “she, rightfully, wants to be with him, bringing him back to good health as they currently fight a tough battle together. I have no doubt he will soon be better than ever.”

Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director, Mr. Trump announced.

Advertisement Advertisement

She notified Mr. Trump of her intent to step down during a meeting in the Oval Office Friday, Fox News Digital reported.

Her role in the administration was the subject of speculation for months, after she told Congress earlier this year that Iran was not close to building a nuclear weapon. The president has said the war that began on Feb. 28 was necessary to prevent Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.

Ms. Gabbard, who was sworn into her role in February 2025, said she is “deeply grateful for the trust [that Mr. Trump] placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half.”

She said that while she has “made significant progress at the [the DNI office] — advancing unprecedented transparency and restoring integrity to the intelligence community — there is still important work to be done.”

She added in a message to the president, “I am fully committed to ensuring a smooth and thorough transition over the coming weeks so that you and your team experience no disruption in leadership or momentum.”

Advertisement Advertisement

Ms. Gabbard had distanced herself from Mr. Trump’s decision to strike Iran. When lawmakers directly questioned whether Iran’s nuclear status constituted an imminent threat, she stated that determining an “imminent threat” is solely the president’s responsibility based on the totality of intelligence provided.

Her intelligence posture drew intense scrutiny from Democrats, as she had historically been an outspoken critic of indefinite Middle Eastern wars and, in 2019, actively campaigned against military engagement with Iran. 

Joe Kent, director of the U.S. National Counterterrorism Center, resigned in March, stating he “cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran,” and saying the Middle Eastern country “posed no imminent threat to our nation.”

Ms. Gabbard’s departure comes amid Cabinet firings.

Advertisement Advertisement

The president ousted Attorney General Pam Bondi in April after her 14-month tenure, driven by her handling of the Justice Department’s infamous Jeffrey Epstein files and her failure to secure political convictions.

Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem was fired following a series of leadership issues. She authorized a $200 million taxpayer-funded ad campaign, claiming the president personally approved it, which Mr. Trump denied. She also faced backlash for her handling of the deadly ICE confrontations in Minneapolis.

Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer stepped down after allegations of having an affair with a subordinate.

And Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Marty Makary recently resigned after reportedly facing mounting pressure and internal conflicts with the White House.

Advertisement Advertisement

Contact the author

Mary McCue Bell

mbell@washingtontimes.com

View staff page

Follow author updates Follow Click to follow. Manage followed authors

Story Topics