Ebola case confirmed in rebel-held Congo area far from outbreak's epicentre
The outbreak has so far led to 160 suspected deaths and has been declared a public health emergency of international concern by the World Health Organisation.
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
KINSHASA: A case of Ebola has been confirmed in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo's South Kivu province, hundreds of kilometres from the outbreak's epicentre, the rebel alliance that controls the area said on Thursday (May 21).
The case, in a rural area near the provincial capital Bukavu, signals the spread of an outbreak that experts believe circulated undetected for around two months in Ituri province, several hundred kilometres to the north, before being identified last week.
The outbreak has resulted in 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases, and 61 of the cases have been confirmed, according to DRC health ministry data published on Thursday.
Two cases have also been confirmed in neighbouring Uganda, which said on Thursday it would suspend flights to the DRC, effective within the next 48 hours, as a precautionary measure.
CNA Games
Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time
Buzzword
Create words using the given letters
Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser
Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge
Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less
The WHO declared the outbreak of the virus's Bundibugyo strain - for which there is no vaccine - a public health emergency of international concern over the weekend.
The Alliance Fleuve Congo, which includes the Rwanda-backed M23 rebels who seized swathes of eastern DRC last year, said the 28-year-old patient in South Kivu had died and been buried safely.
It said the individual had travelled from the northern city of Kisangani, but gave no details of recent movements.
South Kivu health spokesperson Claude Bahizire told Reuters earlier on Thursday that two suspected cases had been detected in the province, including the fatal case. The other patient was in isolation awaiting test results, he said.
An Ebola case was also confirmed last week in Goma, capital of neighbouring North Kivu province, which is under M23 control.
PROTESTERS ATTACK HOSPITAL IN ITURI
In the town of Rwampara, one of the outbreak's hotspots in Ituri, clashes broke out on Thursday after the family of a suspected Ebola victim disputed that the disease had killed him and demanded his body, Reuters witnesses said.
Protesters gathered outside the hospital and set fire to tents run by the medical charity ALIMA, prompting police to fire warning shots and tear gas, the witnesses said.
Hundreds of health centres were attacked by armed groups and angry civilians during the 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC, which was the second-deadliest on record with nearly 2,300 fatalities.
First responders expect widespread armed violence across eastern DRC, where dozens of militias operate, and for community mistrust of medical workers to complicate once again efforts to contain the outbreak.
Speaking to reporters in Geneva, Jane Halton, chair of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), said the confirmed cases announced to date likely represent only "the top of the iceberg".
CEPI, which funds vaccine development, is assessing potential candidates for Ebola. Halton said it might be possible to meet CEPI's target of having a safe, effective vaccine for major outbreaks within 100 days, though this would be "a big lift".
In a sign of further restrictions aimed at preventing Ebola entering the US, the State Department said Americans who have been in Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan within the last three weeks must only return to the United States through Washington Dulles for enhanced screening.
Still, public health experts say the risk of widespread global transmission remains low.
“(This is) not an easy virus to transmit. The person has to have close contact with (someone who’s seriously ill) or the body of someone who's recently deceased,” said William Schaffner, professor of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Containing the outbreak has been challenging in the affected areas because they are remote, politically unstable and have limited healthcare infrastructure.
Schaffner said more resources and international attention are needed on the ground.
Public education efforts are also critical, he added, to help communities better understand how the virus spreads and why certain practices, including caring for sick relatives at home or handling bodies during funerals, can increase the risk of infection.
“It will require collaboration from local leaders to alter traditional burial practices, because when a person has died, the Ebola virus (is still present on the body). Cleansing the body out of great respect for the departed (can become) a highly contagious situation,” he told CNA’s Asia First.
SHORTAGE OF BASIC SUPPLIES
Aid workers responding to the outbreak have said they lack basic supplies which some have attributed to foreign aid cuts by major donors that have weakened local health services and disease surveillance.
Britain said on Thursday it was allocating up to 20 million pounds (US$27 million) to the response. The United States, which gave around US$600 million to the 2018-2020 response, has so far committed US$23 million and said on Tuesday it would help open up to 50 clinics in DRC and Uganda.
Uganda's health ministry said late on Wednesday it had not been consulted by the US on plans to establish clinics, and stressed there was no known local transmission.
Information Minister Chris Baryomunsi told Reuters the US was "overreacting" this week by banning most travellers from Uganda, along with DRC and South Sudan.
"We've handled cases of Ebola at other epidemics for a number of years," he said. "There is capacity within the country to contain these epidemics."
The African Union said the India-Africa Forum Summit scheduled to take place in New Delhi from May 28 to 31 would be rescheduled due to "the emerging public health situation on the continent".
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app