Man Drives Car Into Tourists in Crete, Injuring Two
by Bill Giannopoulos · Greek City TimesStay connected to Greek City Times for Free on Google News
Click NOW
A 29 year old man has been charged with a felony after allegedly driving a car into a group of tourists in Malia, a popular resort town on the northern coast of Crete, injuring two British nationals.
The incident occurred late on July 19 on a busy street crowded with tourists and locals.
Video footage released by local media appears to show a white car driving through the busy area, with people standing along both sides of the road. The driver then turns right, forcing several pedestrians to move out of the vehicle’s path, before swerving left and striking two people on the opposite side of the street.
Police said a 41 year old British woman suffered a broken leg, while her partner sustained minor injuries.
The suspect, a Palestinian national, allegedly initially told authorities during the preliminary investigation that he had been driving the vehicle and was under the influence of alcohol. He later withdrew that statement, claiming that he had obtained the car after the incident had taken place.
Following his testimony, the man was released after surrendering his driver’s license and the vehicle’s registration documents.
The incident has drawn attention because of the large crowds that gather in Malia during the summer tourist season.
The footage was published by local outlet Cretalivenews.
Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.