Kidnap… then ransom call !

by · Star of Mysore
  • Trio, who kidnapped two children from school, on the run
  • Complaint lodged with Child Protection Officer, Police

Mysuru: A case of alleged child abduction, illegal confinement and extortion has been reported in Mysuru city, with an FIR (77/2026) registered at the Kuvempunagar Police Station based on a letter issued to the Inspector by the District Child Protection Officer on Aug. 14.

The FIR, registered under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, 2023 (BNS), includes sections of kidnapping, wrongful confinement, extortion, criminal intimidation, joint criminal liability and unlawful assembly.

The FIR has been registered on Aug. 17 based on the letter by the District Child Protection Officer. In their complaint, Sunitha and Ganesh, residents of E&F Block, Ramakrishnanagar, have alleged that their minor son and daughter were abducted from their schools and held in illegal confinement before being released in exchange for cash and gold.

CCTV grab showing kidnap incident where the children were abducted.

The complaint names Ramya, Ramu, Manjula and another person as accused. According to the FIR, Sunitha stated that on July 30, around 1 pm, her five-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son, who were studying at their respective schools, were allegedly abducted from the institutions by the accused.

The incident was reportedly captured on CCTV cameras. The accused are on the run, with their mobile phones switched off.

Children, parents allegedly confined

The accused allegedly took the children to House No. 31, MIG, KHB Colony, Kuvempunagar, where they were kept in illegal confinement. Later, Ramya reportedly telephoned Sunitha and summoned both parents to the same location.

Sunitha and her husband Ganesh were allegedly confined separately in rooms. The accused reportedly threatened them, saying: “If you want your children and yourselves released, you must pay Rs. 20 lakh ransom. Otherwise, we will strip you and parade you naked, or even kill you here.”

The FIR states that, under duress, Sunitha handed over Rs. 50,000 in cash and Ganesh’s 51-gram gold bracelet. Following this, at around 4.30 pm on the same day, the children and their parents were released.

Sunitha explained the delay in filing the complaint, stating that she had been undergoing medical treatment and was terrified by the accused’s threats of dire consequences if they approached the Police.

Children counselled

Confirming the incident to Star of Mysore, Child Protection Officer P.S. Asha said her office had written to the Kuvempunagar Inspector based on the complaint submitted by Sunitha and Ganesh.

“The children are traumatised and were refusing to go to school. The children have been counselled at the District Child Welfare Committee (CWC), and a case has been registered at Kuvempunagar Police Station. We will follow up the case and submit a report to the CWC,” she said.

Kuvempunagar Police confirmed that mahazar proceedings would be conducted and that action would be taken against the accused. Police officials said three suspects allegedly involved in the incident are currently untraceable as their phones remain switched off.

No arrests have been made so far and the investigation is underway, the Police said.

Prior financial dealings

According to Sunitha, Ramya was previously acquainted with the family and had ongoing financial dealings with them.

Facing multiple legal cases and check-bounce warrants, Ramya had earlier stayed at Sunitha’s house for nearly a month, during which she allegedly became familiar with the family’s daily routine, cash and valuables.

“On July 30, Ramya asked me to meet her under the pretext of an urgent discussion. Shortly after, she called my husband and we found that our children were there. We were blackmailed and intimidated,” she said.