French Senate endorses proposed changes to New Caledonia's electoral roll

by · RNZ
French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu during a session at the Senate in Paris on 15 October 2015.Photo: AFP / Stefano Lorusso

The French Senate on Monday (Tuesday NZT) endorsed proposed changes to New Caledonia's restricted electoral roll to allow "native" people to vote.

The proposed changes relaxes current vote restrictions enforced under the Nouméa Accord, signed in 1998, a situation often referred to as the "frozen" electoral roll.

The relaxing measure concerns an estimated 10,000+ voters, who were born in New Caledonia since 1998 and have since reached voting age (18).

The measures, initially perceived as a way to protect against any dilution of the indigenous Kanak voters, only concerned about 8 percent of the population. But as time went by, it was now barring 17 percent, French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu told French Senators on Monday evening Paris time.

He said this growing proportion infringed on France's principles of universal and equal suffrage.

After hours of debates in Paris, the vote was 304 in favour and 20 against.

Over the past few weeks, Lecornu held more talks with New Caledonian politicians from all sides of the spectrum, and said he had obtained a pledge that after the 28 June 2026 provincial elections, everyone would come back to the table and resume comprehensive political talks concerning New Caledonia's future status.

He said the talks would start as soon as July 2026 and would have to bring an outcome "before the end of the year".

French Senate endorses changes in New Caledonia’s electoral roll for provincial elections.Photo: Supplied / Senat.fr

Yes to 'natives', no to 'spouses'

But the Senate did not approve of another amendment which aimed at extending the "unfreezing" of New Caledonia's electoral roll to "spouses" of qualified voters.

The inclusion of those who are regarded as spouses was aimed at those who had been married (or entered into the French Civil Union pact) there for at least five years and latest estimates showed this concerned between 1500 to 1800 persons.

New Caledonia's Senator (Les Républicains, right-wing) Georges Naturel, who was the mover of the motion, admitted himself that this additional clause for "spouses" would potentially expose the text to a censure from the French Constitutional Council.

New Caledonia's other Senator Robert Xowie (pro-independence FLNKS) warned of yet another attempt of "passage en force" which would probably make the provincial elections campaign "even more radical".

The proposed changes to New Caledonia's electoral makeup come less than six weeks ahead of crucial elections in the French Pacific territory.

The provincial elections are scheduled to be held on 28 June and, based on proportional representation, they will determine not only New Caledonia's three provincial assemblies (North, South and the Loyalty Islands), but also the territorial Congress, its local government and its president.

Lecornu: status quo would sow seeds of fresh violence

Taking the floor on Monday before the Senate, Lecornu stressed that not changing New Caledonia's electoral rule "cannot be a solid base for the future".

Lecornu said not doing anything would potentially sow the seeds of fresh violence in New Caledonia.

Earlier attempts to change New Caledonia's status under the French Constitution, in May 2024, have led to insurrectional riots, which caused 14 deaths and over €2 billion in damages, as well as thousands of jobs lost due to the destruction of hundreds of businesses.

Lecornu said his government's Bill was meant to offer New Caledonia's political stakeholders - both pro-France and pro-independence a "balanced" compromise.

But this reform for "natives" still has many hurdles to pass.

On Wednesday local time, the French Lower House, the National Assembly, which is divided and less likely to approve the French Organic Bill, is also to vote on the same text.

On 2 April, the National Assembly rejected an earlier attempt to change France's Constitution to implement the outcome of talks held in July 2025 (Bougival talks) and in January 2026 (Matignon-Oudinot talks). The process was proposing to create a "State" of New Caledonia and a correlated "Nationality", all under the French framework.

New Caledonia's Congress (parliament) buildingPhoto: RRB

Mixed feelings from New Caledonia's polarised Congress

A few hours earlier on Monday in Nouméa, New Caledonia's Congress (parliament) was also convened at the request of the French government.

The meeting was also dedicated to the Organic Bill later debated in the Senate.

The request was to provide French lawmakers with a snapshot of the parties' views regarding the text.

The sitting lasted hours in Nouméa and, once again, it was the reiteration of each party's stance on the proposed changes to the electoral roll conditions of eligibility. The final vote reflected a polarised landscape, with each party camping on their respective positions.

On the pro-France side, most were in favour of opening the vote to the "natives", but many regretted that the same could not be done for their spouses.

"Which country in the world is barring its own children to choose their local representatives? None," an indignant pro-France Rassemblement group leader Virginie Ruffenach said.

"Not now," replied UC-FLNKS group leader Pierre-Chanel Tutugoro, who said the electoral roll was "a fundamental pillar of (New Caledonia's decolonisation process, as enshrined in the (1998) Nouméa Accord."

Tutugoro said this could not be modified outside of a wider political agreement.

The final vote in the Congress on the inclusion of "natives" reflected those divisions: 25 in favour (including pro-France Rassemblement and pro-independence UNI [Union Nationale pour l'Indépendance]), 14 against (pro-independence Union Calédonienne-FLNKS [Kanak and Socialist National Liberation Front]) and 13 abstentions (pro-France Les Loyalistes).

New Caledonia’s special electoral card for Congress and provincial elections.Photo: Supplied

More pre-election local moves on the local front

Meanwhile, over the weekend, the four main components of the pro-France block announced a pact to contest the upcoming provincial elections as a united front.

These are Sonia Backès (Républicains Calédoniens), Nicolas Metzdorf (Génération NC), Alcide Ponga (Rassemblement - Les Républicains) and Gil Brial (Mouvement Populaire Calédonien).

In a joint statement, they have announced they have chosen the "general interest", based on common candidates.

"Together, we share the essential: our indefectible attachment to France, civil peace, democracy and institutional stability", they wrote.

"On 28 June, the choice will be simple: between division that paralyses and union that builds".

At a media conference held on Friday 15 May, FLNKS leader Christian Téin said they remained open to talks with other parties.

He said there was a "will to build our country with all voluntary groups", including in New Caledonia's Southern province (where the capital Nouméa is located and traditionally perceived as pro-France).

Security reinforcements to arrive soon: French High Commissioner

Speaking to local Radio Rythme Bleu on Monday, France's High Commissioner in New Caledonia Jacques Billant said preparations were currently being made in preparation of the French Pacific territory's provincial elections.

"My priority as High Commissioner is that the elections take place in a serene atmosphere so that every political force can campaign in the best possible conditions and that each and every voter can exercise their civic right".

He said the French Ministry of Interior (Home Affairs) "will allow reinforcements for New Caledonia. They will arrive gradually starting mid-June."

"We're talking about over 300 gendarmes who will arrive to reinforce the 2000 police force and gendarmes already deployed."