Representative image

Sweden school sword attack kills one, injures two boys in Fagersta

An 18-year-old armed with a sword attacked Brinell School in Fagersta, killing one person and seriously injuring two boys. The incident triggered lockdowns, a crisis response and an expanding police investigation into the motive.

by · India Today

In Short

  • The attack happened during classes at Brinell School in Fagersta
  • Around 400 to 500 students were on campus when violence erupted
  • Police fired shots while arresting the 18-year-old suspect after the assault

An 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked a school in central Sweden on Friday, leaving one person dead and at least two others seriously injured, police said. The suspect was arrested after the attack, and police confirmed that shots were fired during the arrest.

The attack took place at the Brinell School in Fagersta, northwest of Stockholm, while classes were in session. Officials said around 400 to 500 students were at the school at the time. Police said there was no immediate word on the suspect's possible motive.

Police Chief Tommy Alriksson told a news conference that the suspect was in custody and was not being treated in hospital. It was not clear whether he had been injured. Alriksson said, "We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators," adding that the investigation was continuing.

Sweden's national police said investigators had already carried out two house searches linked to the suspect. Many witnesses were expected to be interviewed. "That's why we can't give out too much information, because we don't want to influence witnesses," Alriksson said.

According to the TT news agency, Vastmanland County said the two seriously injured boys were aged between 12 and 17. It did not provide details about the person who was killed. Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by TT, said an alarm was received in the early afternoon. Police cordoned off a wide area around the school, while several nearby schools were locked down and roadblocks were set up.

Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, in a post on X, lamented the violence in Fagersta "right after the summer break". He said, "We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively. Our thoughts are with all those affected." The Fagersta city government set up a crisis centre in a sports hall near the school, while the county government said "many people" were affected and were being cared for by police, fire services and healthcare workers.

The attack at the school in Fagersta left one person dead and at least two boys seriously injured, with the 18-year-old suspect now in custody. Police said the investigation was under way, with searches carried out and witness interviews expected as authorities continued to respond to the incident.

With PTI Inputs

- Ends