Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma

Meghalaya forms SIT after student rally protesters attack Assam tourist vehicles

The decision was announced after a high-level meeting between Assam and Meghalaya officials in Guwahati to discuss the situation, restore normal movement and strengthen coordination between the neighbouring states.

by · India Today

In Short

  • Sixteen people were injured and 31 vehicles were damaged in unrest
  • Two vehicles were torched during random attacks on Assam-registered tourist cars
  • Police filed 15 FIRs and arrested three senior KSU leaders

The Meghalaya government on Saturday constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the violence that broke out in Shillong on August 19, identify those involved and ensure their prosecution. Sixteen people were injured, two vehicles were set on fire and around 31 vehicles were damaged in the violence, officials said.

The decision was announced after a high-level meeting between Assam and Meghalaya officials in Guwahati to discuss the situation, restore normal movement and strengthen coordination between the neighbouring states.

The Meghalaya government said five masked men allegedly involved in the violence and random attacks on Assam-registered tourist vehicles have so far been identified. The SIT will identify others involved, particularly those responsible for attacking vehicles registered in Assam, and take steps to ensure their prosecution in accordance with the law.

Police have registered 15 FIRs in connection with the violence and arrested three senior leaders of the Khasi Students' Union (KSU) — president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar. They were arrested on the night of August 19 following the KSU's black-flag motorcycle rally and were later sent to judicial custody.

The rally, organised over several demands, witnessed incidents of stone-pelting, assaults, vandalism and arson in different parts of Shillong. One of the issues raised by the KSU was the cancellation of a public hearing for Shree Cement Ltd in Daistong village in East Jaintia Hills district.

Officials said more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have already been safely escorted out of Meghalaya into Assam. The violence has heightened tensions between the two states and disrupted traffic movement following protests and blockades at Jorabat.

The SIT probe is expected to focus on establishing the sequence of events during the August 19 violence, identifying those responsible for the attacks and bringing them to justice.

- Ends