Senior Pakistan Airport Security Force officer Wasim Ahmed purportedly in BLA custody. (Photo: BLA)

Baloch rebels claim to capture senior Pak military official in daring op

BLA spokesperson Jeeyand Baloch said the officer was detained after fighters identified him on the main highway in Kalat district of Balochistan.

by · India Today

In Short

  • BLA says officer captured using intelligence gathered by its intel wing
  • Pakistan authorities yet to officially confirm BLA’s claim of officer’s detention
  • Incident follows major security operation killing 35 fighters across Balochistan

The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) has claimed that it has taken into custody a senior officer of Pakistan’s Airport Security Force (ASF), identifying him as Deputy Director and Commanding Officer Waseem Ahmed. The claim surfaced after reports emerged that the officer had gone missing in Kalat district of Balochistan during an official journey.

In a statement issued on May 22, BLA spokesperson Jeeyand Baloch said the officer was detained after BLA fighters identified him on the main highway in Kalat.

The group said the operation was conducted using "confidential intelligence" gathered by its intelligence wing, ZIRAB.

According to the statement, Waseem Ahmed, who serves in the ASF under Pakistan’s Ministry of Defence, was intercepted and taken into custody during the operation.

Regional sources said the incident took place during a snap-checking operation allegedly carried out by armed men in the area.

Waseem Ahmed was reportedly travelling in connection with official duties at the time of the incident.

The BLA described the detention as a targeted operation based on prior intelligence regarding the officer’s movement.

The outfit added that more details regarding the capture would be released to the media later.

No official confirmation or statement has yet been issued by Pakistani authorities or security agencies regarding the reported detention.

Waseem Ahmed is currently posted in Zhob and has previously served in Multan, Karachi and Panjgur.

Some reports claimed that after his promotion to Deputy Director, he was assigned postings in Karachi and later in Zhob.

The incident has intensified concerns over the deteriorating security situation in Balochistan, where separatist groups have frequently targeted security personnel, infrastructure and government installations.

Kalat district and surrounding regions have witnessed recurring insurgent activity over the past several months.

The reported detention also comes days after Pakistani authorities announced a major counterinsurgency operation in Balochistan.

On May 18, provincial government spokesperson Shahid Rind said security forces had killed 35 members of Balochistan-based armed groups and arrested at least three senior commanders during a four-day intelligence-based operation launched on May 13 in the Mangla Zarghoon Gar area near Quetta.

The operation followed a wave of violence across the province, including rocket attacks in Quetta, attacks on transport routes and the destruction of a bridge in Mastung district.

Authorities subsequently imposed restrictive orders across Balochistan, banning public gatherings, pillion riding and display of weapons, while Pakistan Railways temporarily suspended train services from the province citing security concerns.

The latest claim has also drawn comparisons with a July 2022 incident in which the BLA claimed responsibility for the capture and subsequent killing of Pakistan Army Colonel Laiq Baig Mirza during what it described as an "intelligence-based operation" in Ziarat.

- Ends