Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf meets with Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, in Tehran. (Photo: Reuters)

Pakistan delivers Iran's revised 14-point peace proposal to US

Pakistan has passed Iran's revised 14-point proposal to the United States through backchannel talks, as pressure mounts to save a fragile ceasefire and fears grow that the window for diplomacy may be rapidly closing.

by · India Today

In Short

  • US demands Iran halt nuclear programme; Iran refuses to compromise
  • Trump warns time running out for Iran, military options under review
  • Truce remains shaky with drone attacks and Hormuz confrontations continuing

Months into the US-Iran conflict, diplomacy is still hanging by a thread. Several proposals to end the hostilities have been exchanged in recent weeks, but both sides have so far failed to reach an agreement. Amid the boiling tensions, peace mediator Pakistan has delivered a revised Iranian proposal to the United States to end the Middle East war.

A Pakistani source told news agency Reuters on Monday that Islamabad had conveyed Tehran’s updated 14-point proposal to Washington through backchannels.

"We don't have much time," the source said.

The fresh diplomatic push comes weeks after a tense ceasefire halted six weeks of fighting triggered by US-Israeli strikes on Iran. Although large-scale hostilities have eased since April, the truce remains unstable, with drone attacks, naval confrontation in the Strait of Hormuz and disputes over Iran’s nuclear programme continuing to escalate conflict.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei later confirmed that Tehran’s position had been shared to the US through Pakistani mediation, though he declined to reveal details of the revised proposal.

According to Iran’s Tasnim news agency, Tehran’s latest text again consists of 14 points and focuses on "negotiations to end the war and confidence-building measures by the American side".

US-IRAN TALKS HIT MAJOR ROADBLOCKS

The negotiations remain deadlocked over several core demands from both sides.

Washington has continued to press Iran to dismantle its nuclear programme, stop uranium enrichment activities and remove restrictions on transit through the Strait of Hormuz. Tehran, however, has made clear that its nuclear rights are non-negotiable. Speaking during a televised weekly press conference, Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran would not compromise on uranium enrichment rights.

"The issue of rights is not something subject to negotiation," he said, adding that Iran’s enrichment rights under the treaty "do not require validation from any other party".

Iran has also demanded compensation for war damage, guarantees against future attacks and the removal of restrictions affecting Iranian oil exports and ports. The Iranian spokesperson warned Tehran was prepared for all outcomes if diplomacy failed.

"As for their threats, rest assured that we are fully aware of how to respond appropriately to even the smallest mistake from the opposing side," Baghaei said.

US President Donald Trump has meanwhile intensified pressure on Tehran in recent days, warning Iran that time was running out to strike a deal.

"The Clock is Ticking," Trump wrote on Truth Social over the weekend. "They better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"

According to Axios, the US President is expected to meet top national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss possible military options if diplomacy collapses.

PAKISTAN PUSHES TO SAVE FRAGILE CEASEFIRE

Pakistan has remained in direct contact with both Tehran and Washington throughout the crisis. Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi extended his visit to Tehran for a third day as negotiations intensified. Naqvi held nearly 90-minute meeting on Sunday with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, according to Iran’s WANA news agency.

During the discussions, Pezeshkian praised Pakistan’s diplomatic role and thanked Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir for helping stabilise the ceasefire.

Despite the ceasefire, tensions across the Gulf region remain volatile.

Recent weeks have seen drone launches from Iran towards Gulf countries hosting US military bases. One drone strike triggered a fire at a nuclear power facility in the United Arab Emirates, while Saudi Arabia said it intercepted three drones over its territory.

Iran also escalated attacks near the Strait of Hormuz earlier this month after Trump announced -- and later suspended -- a US-led naval mission to reopen shipping routes through the waterway.

- Ends
With inputs from agencies