They are desperate: Defiant Iran mocks US sanctions threat, says pressure will fail
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Washington appeared to be returning to familiar tactics after its military campaign against Tehran had failed to achieve its intended objectives.
by India Today World Desk · India TodayIn Short
- Iran rejects US threat of toughest sanctions as desperate move
- US plans maximum economic pressure, avoids large military action
- Trump warned countries aiding Iran of unprecedented economic warfare and isolation
Iran has dismissed Washington's threat to impose what US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called "the toughest sanctions in history". Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi described the move as a sign of desperation and insisted that the latest US pressure campaign will fail to force Tehran into submission.
Araqchi, in a video posted on Telegram on Sunday, said Washington appeared to be returning to familiar tactics after its military campaign against Iran had failed to achieve its intended objectives. Describing what he said were "repetitive scenarios", Araqchi said: "The fact that they (US leaders) have moved on from military operations ... to bring up the same old plans shows that they are desperate."
He urged Washington to change its approach and engage Tehran on terms Iran considers respectful. He said the US must speak to Iran respectfully to find "a solution based on justice and honor".
"We have never been afraid. All of their actions -- whether blockades or other military moves they have made -- have failed, and this new issue of theirs will fail as well," he said.
US THREATENS 'TOUGHEST SANCTIONS IN HISTORY'
The Iranian response came days after Bessent said Washington was preparing an unprecedented sanctions package against Tehran. The Treasury secretary is scheduled to hold a press conference at 2 PM EDT (1800 GMT) on Monday, when he is expected to provide details of the measures. Bessent said the sanctions would form part of a broader campaign aimed at putting maximum economic pressure on Iran. He suggested the strategy could reduce the need for another major US military operation.
"It is a one-two punch. We have the blockade (on Iran), and we are going to have the toughest sanctions in history," Bessent told CNBC, referring to a US naval blockade imposed on Iran in April and paused for a month in mid-June.
"It is going to work in Iran and we are going to collapse this regime. It is time for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision," he said.
President Donald Trump had already threatened a wider economic campaign against countries and businesses seen as keeping Iran's economy afloat. In a social media post on Wednesday, Trump warned of "Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale".
"ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences," Trump wrote.
Iran, however, has already endured decades of sanctions and says further restrictions will not alter its position.
IRAN REMAINS DEFIANT AMID WAR
The latest development follows as Iran's economy remains under severe strain following years of international restrictions and months of war. Iranian infrastructure has suffered repeated attacks, while thousands of people have been killed since the US and Israel launched their latest military campaign against the Islamic Republic on February 28.
The conflict has also disrupted energy markets and shipping across the region. Iran has effectively brought traffic through the Strait of Hormuz to a near standstill by refusing to allow unauthorised oil tankers to pass through the strategic waterway.
Bessent said on Thursday that the US was seeking to maximise economic pressure rather than immediately return to large-scale military action.
"I'm not sure why oil has popped up on this," Bessent told CNBC. "If we are doing the maximum economic pressure, then that means that likely there will not be a large-scale kinetic restart," he said. The US and Iran have announced two ceasefire agreements, in April and June, intended to restore shipping through the Strait of Hormuz and create a path towards ending the conflict. Both arrangements, however, quickly collapsed.
TRUMP WARNS IRAN’S SUPPORTERS
Washington has also put pressure on countries that continue to trade with Iran, particularly China, which remains the biggest buyer of Iranian oil.
China purchased more than 80 per cent of Iran's shipped oil in 2025, according to data from analytics firm Kpler. Any attempt by Washington to impose penalties on Chinese entities could therefore have broader consequences for US-China relations. Bessent has urged Beijing to cooperate with Washington, arguing that China's dependence on Gulf energy makes it vulnerable to the disruption caused by the conflict.
China, however, has rejected the use of additional sanctions as a solution.
"Sanctions and pressure do not help resolve the problem," China's embassy in Washington said.
"China calls on the relevant parties to take responsible actions and resolve the issue through political and diplomatic means," an embassy spokesperson said.
Trump has also said Washington would impose economic consequences on countries that provide Iran with what he described as a "lifeline".
On Friday, he said Iran wanted a deal but was unwilling to accept the terms demanded by Washington.
"They would love to make a deal, but they're not ready to make the right deal, in my opinion," Trump said.
PAKISTAN ARMY CHIEF TO VISIT TEHRAN
Against this backdrop, Iran said Pakistan's army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, will visit Tehran on Monday to help restore peace and security in the region.
Iran provided few details about the visit, but news agency Reuters reported that Munir was expected to discuss recent developments, including Washington's threat of fresh sanctions. Pakistan has been involved in efforts to mediate between the sides as the conflict has continued to disrupt regional security and energy supplies.
Meanwhile, Iranian officials signal both defiance and an openness to diplomacy. Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said Saturday that Tehran had received "numerous messages" from neighbouring countries about possible new regional security arrangements and economic cooperation.
He did not identify the countries involved but accused Washington of putting its regional allies at risk in support of Israel. Qalibaf said Iran favoured an independent, "homegrown" regional security structure that could provide lasting peace and stability.
- Ends
With inputs from Reuters