MHT-CET 2025 merit list controversy: CET cell denies irregularities after Sachin Sawant raises questions

Maharashtra CET denies scam claims and irregularities in merit list

Congress leader Sachin Sawant has alleged discrepancies in the MHT-CET 2025-26 merit list, prompting questions over student scores. The Maharashtra CET Cell has denied any irregularities, while students and parents seek greater transparency.

by · India Today

In Short

  • Sawant cited score patterns that he said clashed with past board results
  • He called for an independent inquiry during a conference on May 19
  • Social media users demanded detailed evaluation data and clearer ranking explanations

Questions over the credibility of the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT-CET) admission process have intensified after allegations of discrepancies in the 2025–26 BE/BTech merit list surfaced online and in political circles.

The controversy gained momentum after Congress leader and AICC Secretary Sachin Sawant publicly raised concerns regarding the authenticity of the published merit data.

He alleged that there were serious inconsistencies between some students’ past academic records and their MHT-CET scores.

According to the allegations, certain candidates who had reportedly scored poorly in their Class 10 and Class 12 board examinations later secured a perfect 100 percentile in the MHT-CET examination. The sharp jump in performance has triggered debate among students, parents and educators.

WHY ARE QUESTIONS BEING RAISED NOW?

The issue comes at a time when competitive examinations across India are already under intense public scrutiny over fairness, transparency and system accountability.

During a press conference held on May 19, Sawant demanded an independent and transparent enquiry into the matter. He argued that the alleged discrepancies had shaken public confidence in the admission process and raised doubts about how merit rankings were being prepared.

The allegations quickly gained traction on social media, where several users called for greater transparency in the evaluation process and release of detailed merit-related data.

The controversy has also reopened wider discussions around competitive entrance examinations and whether stronger verification mechanisms are needed to maintain trust in the system.

WHAT HAS THE CET CELL SAID?

Responding to the allegations, the Maharashtra CET Cell firmly rejected claims of irregularities in the merit list preparation process.

Officials stated that the entire admission process was conducted in a “completely transparent” manner and maintained that “no irregularities or scams have taken place." The CET Cell further clarified that there were “no errors in the 2025 CET merit list”.

Authorities also said that the results and rankings had been prepared strictly according to established procedures and official guidelines.

Despite the clarification, the controversy continues to draw attention as students and parents seek more clarity regarding the evaluation and ranking process.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

While no formal enquiry has yet been announced, the issue is likely to remain under public and political scrutiny in the coming days.

Education experts believe that restoring confidence in competitive examinations will require stronger communication, greater transparency and quicker clarification whenever questions are raised over merit and rankings.

- Ends