The Rajasthan govt's order came hours after the CJP made the inspection announcement.

No entry, no filming: Rajasthan tightens school access after CJP inspection plan

The Rajasthan government issued the order on Sunday evening, hours after the Cockroach Janta Party announced plans to inspect government schools it claimed were in poor condition.

by · India Today

In Short

  • Rajasthan bars outsiders from govt schools without principal's permission
  • Photography and videography require written approval
  • Order follows CJP's plan to inspect poor govt schools

The Rajasthan government has restricted entry of outsiders into government schools without prior permission from the principal and barred photography and videography without written approval.

The order was issued on Sunday evening, hours after the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) announced plans to inspect government schools it claimed were in poor condition.

The restrictions come amid protests at government schools in several parts of Rajasthan over alleged shortages of teachers and basic amenities.

Videos and reports of such demonstrations have circulated widely on social media and in the media in recent weeks.

Earlier on Sunday, CJP co-convener Ashutosh Ranka said the party had received requests from several districts to inspect schools where basic facilities were allegedly lacking.

"So far, I have received requests from Jaipur, Ajmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Dholpur, Bharatpur, Kota, Barmer and Hanumangarh to inspect schools in poor condition. In these places, the administration is refusing to heed demands to fix the schools. I will be visiting all these locations over the next few days," he said in a social media post.

Hours later, Director of Secondary Education Lalit Kumar issued a circular citing the government's responsibility to protect the safety, dignity, privacy and welfare of children in government schools.

The department invoked the principle of in loco parentis, under which schools assume certain responsibilities ordinarily exercised by parents, as well as Article 21 of the Constitution, a Supreme Court ruling on the right to privacy and guidelines issued by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights.

Under the new directions, outsiders will not be allowed on school campuses without prior permission from the principal or head of the institution, except government officials visiting for authorised official work.

All visitors must also make an entry in the visitor register.

Visitors cannot enter classrooms, laboratories, libraries, hostels, playgrounds, toilets or areas where student activities are taking place unless accompanied by the principal, a teacher or another authorised school official.

The circular also restricts photography, videography, interviews, audio recordings and live streaming involving students, teachers or school activities.

Such activities will require prior written permission from the principal and must be for lawful purposes.

Schools have further been directed to ensure that photographs, videos or personal information of students are not collected, published or shared without parental or guardian consent where doing so could compromise a child's privacy, dignity or safety.

Principals have been authorised to deny entry to visitors whose presence could affect security, privacy, discipline or the functioning of the school.

Those who enter without permission, refuse to leave, attempt unauthorised recording or disrupt school activities can be reported to the police and district education authorities.

The circular also permits school heads to seek police assistance and initiate action.

The order has drawn criticism from Rajasthan Assembly Leader of Opposition Tika Ram Jully, who accused the BJP government of trying to prevent scrutiny of shortcomings in government schools rather than fixing them.

"The BJP government has found an excellent solution to broken roofs, leaking classrooms and an acute shortage of teachers. Instead of removing these shortcomings, it has issued orders to hide them from the eyes of the world," Jully said in a social media post.

He threatened a "civil disobedience movement" if the order was not withdrawn and said the Congress would oppose the restrictions.

- Ends