Sen. Robin Padilla speaks during the Senate plenary session on May 13, 2026, calling on Sen. Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan to issue a formal apology for raising his voice during the previous day’s session.The Philippine STAR / Ryan Baldemor

Padilla denies helping Bato escape Senate, says exit was lawful

by · philstar

MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Robin Padilla denied on Friday, May 22, that he helped Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa leave the Senate building in the early hours of May 14 after the shooting incident, despite also admitting in the same statement that they exited the Senate together.

According to a press release, Padilla said they lawfully left the Senate premises despite the heavy presence of police and security personnel.

“Paano kami tatakas? Ang daming pulis sa loob at labas ng Senado, may CCTV pa. Wala namang humarang sa amin,” Padilla said.

(How are we supposed to escape? There are many police inside and outside the Senate, and there’s CCTV. Nobody blocked us.)

Hiding Bato

Justice Secretary Frederick Vida earlier warned that anyone helping Dela Rosa hide or escape would also face legal consequences.

"Alam natin na sa panuntunan ng rule of law may pananagutan. Pinagtago. Hindi lamang po sa mata ng batas ng Pilipinas. Pati rin po sa batas ng ICC," Vida said.

(We know that under the rule of law, there is accountability. He was hidden. This is a violation not only in the eyes of Philippine law but also under the laws of the ICC.)

Meanwhile, CCTV footage uploaded by broadcast journalist Arnold Clavio on Wednesday, May 20, showed Padilla and Dela Rosa going to the Senate parking lot together.

This came after the Philippine National Police also released footage of a white Toyota van exiting the parking lot at 2:32 a.m. on May 14.

The van was registered under Padilla’s name, according to PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr.

Padilla was earlier identified as a person of interest by the National Bureau of Investigation for allegedly using the Senate fiasco to help Dela Rosa leave.

Tracking Bato

As of Friday, May 22, the PNP had already started its manhunt operations for Dela Rosa.

Authorities deployed a tracker team following the DOJ’s order on Thursday, May 21, to “effect the arrest” of the fugitive lawmaker.

Earlier, the Supreme Court of the Philippines denied Dela Rosa’s request for a temporary restraining order against the warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court, effectively keeping the warrant enforceable.

The warrant linked the senator to the crimes against humanity case involving former president Rodrigo Duterte, who is currently detained at the ICC, over allegations involving the killings of at least 32 people between July 2016 and April 2018.