Charges eyed vs Aplasca in Senate shooting probe
by Ian Laqui · philstarMANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) has recommended the filing of charges against suspended Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca and two of his personnel over the shooting incident inside the Senate last week.
In a press briefing on Wednesday, May 20, CIDG Chief Maj. Gen. Robert Morico II said the agency will recommend charges against Aplasca and two others under Republic Act No. 11917 or the Private Security Services Industry Act.
He added that the PNP would submit its findings and recommendations to the Department of Justice.
“It is up to the Department of Justice to reassess our findings,” Morico said.
Morico also insisted there was no attack at the Senate, saying there was no unlawful aggression on the part of agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
Morico explained that the NBI agent only fired “suppression fire” after Aplasca allegedly fired continuously, in order to allow the agent to escape.
He added that Senate Sergeant-at-Arms personnel are strictly prohibited from firing warning shots under current guidelines for private security services, as well as standard police operational procedures.
On May 19, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla and PNP Chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. presented CCTV footage of the night of May 13.
It showed that NBI agents did not set foot in the Senate, and that Aplasca fired at unclear targets during the incident.
Justice Fredderick Vida also ordered the NBI to stand down and not arrest Sen. Bato Dela Rosa, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Aplasca, in an ambush interview with reporters on May 20, insisted that there was an attack in the Senate on the evening of May 13.
He claimed that the footage presented by Remulla and Nartatez was spliced.
On May 13, the Office of the Ombudsman also issued a preventive suspension order against Aplasca amid an investigation into the incident.
The gun shooting incident in the Senate occurred after the Supreme Court neither granted nor denied Dela Rosa’s plea for a temporary restraining order concerning the government’s cooperation with the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The Supreme Court denied Dela Rosa’s plea on May 20.
Following the events, Dela Rosa left the Senate premises early on the morning of May 14, despite authorities attempting to arrest him.