A black van was seen entering the Senate building at 11:11 p.m. on May 13, 2026.Philstar.com / Ian Laqui

PNP probes van, alleged police escort for Bato dela Rosa

by · philstar

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police has ordered an internal investigation into allegations that local police officers escorted a black van suspected of carrying Sen. Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa out of the Senate compound in Pasay City before dawn Thursday, May 14.

In a statement Sunday, May 17, PNP chief General Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said separate verification measures have been launched to determine whether unauthorized police assistance was provided to the senator, who had been staying under protective custody inside the Senate.

"Let me be absolutely clear: the Philippine National Police does not operate on blind loyalty because the integrity of our institution is at stake. While we have received the initial clarification from the Pasay City Police Chief, I have already directed concerned investigative units to conduct an independent review of the logbooks, CCTV feeds, and radio dispatches from that morning," Nartatez said.

The controversy arose after a video circulated online showing a white police vehicle leaving the Senate compound around 3 a.m. on May 14 alongside a black van suspected of carrying Dela Rosa.

A May 14 report showed a black van exiting the Senate parking lot accompanied by a white police van. A similar black van was seen by Philstar.com entering the Senate parking area at 11:11 p.m. on May 13.

Police records under review. Pasay City Police Chief Colonel Joselito de Sesto confirmed that he was inside the white police vehicle seen in the footage but denied providing tactical escort or logistical support to the suspected getaway vehicle.

Nartatez said investigative units were instructed to secure deployment logs, dispatch records, mobility records, duty rosters and body camera footage from units stationed around the Senate complex and its perimeter during the incident.

Dela Rosa left the Senate early on May 14, hours after gunfire erupted inside the Senate compound during a standoff over his possible arrest.

The senator had been taking refuge inside the Senate while facing an International Criminal Court arrest warrant over his alleged liability as an indirect co-perpetrator in crimes against humanity of murder tied to the Duterte administration's anti-drug campaign.