Thousands gather in San Diego to honours ‘heroes’ killed in Islamic Center shooting
by By The News Digital · The News InternationalMore than 2,000 mourners gathered in San Diego on Thursday to honour three men killed during this week’s attack on the Islamic Center of San Diego.
The victims, identified as 51-year-old Amin Abdullah, 78-year-old Mansour Kaziha and 57-year-old Nadir Awad, were remembered during Islamic funeral prayers attended by community members and police officers.
Advertisement
“God is the greatest,” mourners chanted in Arabic as the bodies of the three men rested beneath a white canopy.
Authorities believe the victims helped prevent greater loss of life during Monday’s shooting.
Police said Abdullah, who worked as a security guard at the mosque, exchanged gunfire with the teenage suspects and ordered a lockdown at the centre, which also houses a primary school.
The actions of the three men reportedly gave children and staff time to hide safely inside classrooms and closets.
Imam Taha Hassane told attendees: “Today is a message to everyone: Our community got hurt, but our community is standing strong and firm.”
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said earlier this week: “We are considering this a hate crime until it’s not.”