Smoke rises from apartments after a major fire swept through several blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong's Tai Po district on Nov 27, 2025. (File photo: AFP/Dale De La Rey)

Hong Kong proposes smoking ban on all building sites after deadly fire

· CNA · Join

Read a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST

HONG KONG: Hong Kong's government introduced legislative amendments on Tuesday (May 19) to ban smoking on all construction sites, after a massive fire at a housing complex killed 168 people last year.

The city's deadliest blaze in decades ripped through seven of the eight apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court complex in northern Hong Kong in November.

The estate was undergoing repair works at the time, and a panel investigating the inferno heard in March that a likely cause was construction workers smoking on the scaffolding.

Investigators were also presented with evidence that residents had complained many times about workers smoking, but that their concerns had gone unaddressed.

CNA Games

Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time

Buzzword
Create words using the given letters

Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser

Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge

Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less

The amendments would "impose clear legal obligations on principal contractors of construction works, subcontractors and any persons to strictly prohibit smoking in all construction sites", the government said in a statement on Tuesday.

This was "with a view to reducing fire risks and safeguarding the safety of workers and the public", it said.

The amendments would designate construction sites as no-smoking areas and require occupational safety officers under the Labour Department to enforce the ban.

The officers would be able to issue a fixed fine of HK$3,000 (US$380) to any person found smoking on a construction site.

Contractors and subcontractors who fail to take "all reasonable steps" to prevent smoking would also be liable on conviction to a maximum fine of HK$400,000 (US$51,000).

The government said in its statement it looked forward to the legislative council's "support for early passage" of the amendments.

Source: AFP/gr

Newsletter

Week in Review

Subscribe to our Chief Editor’s Week in Review

Our chief editor shares analysis and picks of the week's biggest news every Saturday.

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Download here

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Join here