Trump's Gaza board reports funding 'gap', urges quicker disbursement
The board is overseeing US President Donald Trump’s plan to end the Gaza war and rebuild the territory, which is estimated to cost about US$70 billion.
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
GENEVA: The gap between funding pledges and disbursement for US President Donald Trump's Gaza rebuilding plan must be closed urgently, the US president's "Board of Peace" has said in a report, identifying a potential cash crunch in a plan estimated to cost US$70 billion.
Trump set up the Board of Peace to oversee his ambitious plan to end Israel's war in Gaza and rebuild the shattered territory.
The UN Security Council has recognised the board, though many major powers have not joined Washington's main Middle Eastern allies and some middling and smaller states in signing up.
Reuters reported in April that the board had only received a small fraction of the US$17 billion pledged by members for Gaza, preventing the president from moving ahead with his plan.
The board denied that report, saying in a statement it was an "execution-focused organisation that calls capital as needed" and that there "are no funding constraints."
APPEAL FOR QUICKER DISBURSEMENT
In a May 15 report to the United Nations Security Council, viewed by Reuters on Tuesday (May 19), the board said that "the gap between commitment (to the Board of Peace) and disbursement must be closed with urgency".
It added: "Funds committed but not yet disbursed represent the difference between a framework that exists on paper and one that delivers on the ground for the people of Gaza."
The board also called on countries and organisations that are not part of the Board of Peace to make contributions to Gaza's reconstruction without delay.
The report did not say how much money it had received or how big the gap was, though it said that the amount pledged remained US$17 billion. The Board of Peace did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In a statement to Reuters, a Board of Peace official said the board had been consistent in urging UN member states and international organisations to fulfil pledges and contribute funding for the reconstruction of Gaza. It did not address the gap in funding pledges to the Board of Peace and disbursement.
Nickolay Mladenov, Trump's Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, is expected to update the Security Council on the report on May 21, the official said.
The United States, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar are among states to have pledged funds to the board. Others include Morocco, Uzbekistan and Kuwait.
Despite an October ceasefire, Hamas is refusing to lay down its weapons and Israel has kept troops in a large swathe of Gaza while continuing to conduct air strikes.
In its report, the board said that 85 per cent of Gaza buildings and infrastructure had been destroyed and that an estimated 70 million tonnes of rubble would need to be cleared.
Reuters reported on May 15 that the US was considering asking Israel to give some tax money it is withholding from the Palestinian Authority to the Board of Peace to fund reconstruction.
Many states are hesitant to finance Gaza's reconstruction through Trump's board over transparency and oversight concerns and would rather fund efforts through traditional institutions like the United Nations, European and Asian officials say.
Under the board's charter, member states would be limited to three-year terms unless they pay US$1 billion each to fund the board's activities and earn permanent membership. It is unclear whether any state has paid the fee.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app