NHS trust sacks staff for accessing attacks victims' health records
An NHS trust has sacked 11 members of staff for inappropriately accessing medical records of the Nottingham attacks victims.
Nottingham students Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-Kumar, and grandfather Ian Coates, were stabbed to death by Valdo Calocane - who was diagnosed with paranoid schizoprehnia - on 13 June 2023.
It emerged in 2025 that staff at Nottingham University Hospitals (NUH) NHS Trust had accessed the victims' records without need, prompting an internal investigation.
On Thursday, NUH confirmed 11 members of staff had been dismissed, 12 had final written warnings and two had first written warnings.
The trust it had informed Nottinghamshire Police and the Information Commissioner's Office of the outcomes.
It comes as a public statutory inquiry continues, examining the lead-up to the attacks and decisions and actions taken in the aftermath.
NUH confirmed the staff involved in the investigations included doctors, nurses, registered medical professionals, and admin and clerical colleagues.
The families of Barnaby, Grace and Ian were informed of the outcome of the investigations this week, the trust added.
Further investigations are ongoing into inappropriate access, including into the files of surviving victims of the attacks, Wayne Birkett, Sharon Miller and Marcin Gawronski.
Dr Manjeet Shehmar, medical director at NUH, said: "The families of Ian, Grace and Barnaby have had to endure much pain and heartache, and I am truly sorry that the actions of some of our staff have added to that.
"To access the medical records of our patients without a legitimate reason is totally unacceptable and we are doing all we can to identify where and how that has happened."
Shehmar is expected to give her evidence to the Nottingham Inquiry next week.
The trust said follow-up activity would take place with independent regulators, such as the Nursing and Midwifery Council and General Medical Council.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on X to get the latest alerts.