Here's What Happened Today: Thursday
by Sophie Finn, https://www.thejournal.ie/author/sophie-finn/ · TheJournal.ieNEED TO CATCH up? The Journal brings you a round-up of today’s news.
IRELAND
- There was a 51% jump in eviction notices issued in the first quarter of this year.
- Ireland’s national debt could reach €250 billion by the 2030s, according to the head of the National Treasury Management Agency.
- RTÉ has revised its top-earning presenters list of 2024 to include Derek Mooney as he was not included in the original list due to being classified as a producer.
- Sinn Féin’s Janice Boylan is leading the Dublin Central byelection race, according to a new opinion poll from TG4 and the Irish Times.
- A planned paramedic strike next week has been called off as engagement involving unions, the HSE and the Labour Court is to continue.
- South Dublin County Council has proposed a rental increase of 25% for tenants.
- Former taoiseach Bertie Ahern’s comments on immigration, which he made while being covertly filmed, have been described as “vile” by the byelection candidate for the Social Democrats, Daniel Ennis.
- A warning has been issued to consumers after an increase in overcharging scams.
- Civil servants are to be explicitly encouraged by the government to “take risks” to accelerate the delivery of major construction and infrastructure projects, Public Expenditure Minister Jack Chambers has said.
- RTÉ Radio 1 has lost listeners across its biggest shows, according to radio data published today.
INTERNATIONAL
#STARMER: The Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham has said he will ask for permission to stand for Labour in a byelection after an MP quit to make way for him to return to Parliament to challenge Keir Starmer.
#INQUEST: The mother of triple killer Valdo Calocane has told an inquiry she thought he was a risk to others because of his mental health years before he stabbed three people to death.
Advertisement
#BEIJING: US president Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping have wrapped up talks in Beijing after more than two hours.
#AMBITION: A norovirus-hit cruise ship carrying mainly passengers from the UK and Ireland has had a French lockdown order lifted.
PARTING SHOT
The Met Gala is one of the most visible celebrations of style, creativity, innovation and craftsmanship.
With the annual event having happened last week, our social media feeds were, and continue to be, inundated with photos and videos of the looks, bursting with opinions on who got it right, who got it wrong, and yet very little commentary about one seismic shift that defines this year above all else.
The billionaire owner of Amazon, Jeff Bezos, and his wife, Lauren Sánchez Bezos, contributed a reported $10 million (€8.5 million) to sponsor the event this year, which supports the Met’s Costume Institute. It was the single largest donation in the Gala’s history. And it shows.
Read more about it here.
Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.
Learn More Support The Journal
Sign Up
Evening News Fix Get our daily news round up
Sign up
You are now signed up