Trump warns negotiators 'not to rush' on Iran deal

by · UPI

May 24 (UPI) -- President Donald Trump on Sunday urged his negotiators "not to rush into a deal" with Iran because "time is on our side."

He made the comments in a post on Truth Social that also took aim at the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, the so-called Iran nuclear deal created in 2015 and which Trump withdrew from in 2018. In his post, Trump called it "one of the worst deals ever made by our country" and blamed former President Barack Obama and his administration.

"It was a direct path to Iran developing a Nuclear Weapon," Trump wrote. "Not so with the transaction currently being negotiated with Iran by the Trump Administration - THE EXACT OPPOSITE, in fact!"

Trump said Saturday the deal with Iran had been "largely negotiated" and that final aspects were being worked out. On Sunday, he added that talks were "proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner.

"I have informed by representatives not to rush into a deal in that time is on our side," he wrote.

"Both sides must take their time and get it right. There can be no mistakes!"

Secretary of State Marco Rubio also said Sunday that "significant progress" had been made and hinted that Trump may make an announcement on the issue "a little bit later today," The New York Times reported.

"Suffice it to say some progress has been made, significant progress, although not final progress," he said during a news conference in New Delhi.

Iranians rally in Tehran with missile display

A missile identified as "Khorramshahr-4" was on display during a public rally in Tehran's Enghelab Square on April 21, 2026. Photo by Behnam Tofighi/UPI | License Photo

Read More