Son of Piero’s founder gets harassment case dismissed
by Noble Brigham / Las Vegas Review-Journal · Las Vegas Review-JournalThe son of the founder of Piero’s Italian Cuisine had his criminal case dismissed Wednesday after previously pleading no contest to a harassment charge last year.
Police have said that Evan Glusman, 47, borrowed $1.5 million against the business without authorization and threatened to carry out a shooting at the iconic restaurant near the Strip, which was opened in 1982 by Fredrick Glusman and featured in scenes from Martin Scorsese’s 1995 film “Casino.”
As part of his plea, Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Diana Sullivan had ordered him to stay out of trouble for a year, undergo two to four weeks of “in-patient” treatment, stay away from Piero’s and his father and not use controlled substances.
At the Wednesday hearing, Defense attorney Josh Tomsheck told Sullivan that Evan Glusman had completed his requirements and stayed out of trouble. He said the case was ready to be dismissed.
Deputy District Attorney Hanna King confirmed that what Tomsheck said was correct and Sullivan said prosecutors would be dismissing the case.
Evan Glusman was not present for the hearing. Tomsheck previously said his client, who oversaw daily operations at Piero’s, “has committed no criminal action related to any financial transaction referenced in the media.”
According to a Metropolitan Police Department report, Evan Glusman was suspended during an investigation into the loan and was “extremely irate” about being told to step down.
In November, the restaurant was bombed, although the explosive device did little damage. Multiple people have been charged in connection with the explosion, though court records show Evan Glusman has not.
In a hearing on the day of the explosion, prosecutors accused Evan Glusman of previously making threatening calls.
Glusman could have been sent to jail, but prosecutors and the defense made a deal to add additional requirements to his informal probation.
Tomsheck has said in court that Glusman was not a suspect in the explosion.
The defense attorney said after court Tuesday that his client was doing well.
“The negotiation called for a dismissal, so that’s what was done today,” he said.