Bad news for big men: Commanders’ Newton ruled out indefinitely as line injuries rise
by Liam Griffin · The Washington TimesThe Washington Commanders are running short on big men.
Coach Dan Quinn confirmed Thursday that defensive tackle Jer’Zhan Newton will miss extended time after undergoing surgery for a torn pectoral muscle.
The news arrived less than two weeks after star left offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil tore his triceps during a training camp practice.
Both players are expected to miss the bulk of the upcoming regular season.
“He’ll miss a significant amount of time. How much that is, I don’t know yet,” Quinn noted of Newton, a 2024 second-round pick. “He is in fantastic shape. It’s a tough blow for a guy who really put in the offseason to get there.”
Injuries have plagued Newton throughout his brief NFL career. The Illinois product missed most of his first offseason program as he recovered from foot surgery.
Newton has appeared in 33 games across two seasons with the Commanders, recording seven sacks.
Despite his draft status, the 23-year-old has yet to blossom into a full-time starter. His playing time decreased in 2025, playing just 38% of Washington’s regular-season snaps. He was expected to serve a rotational role again this year, helping to spell starters Daron Payne and Javon Kinlaw.
Advertisement Advertisement
The Commanders, led by general manager Adam Peters, invested heavily in the defensive line this offseason. They added edge rushers Odafe Oweh, K’Lavon Chaisson and Charles Omenihu, along with interior lineman Tim Settle.
Oweh, Chaisson and Settle were held out of Thursday’s practice. They worked with trainers on the sideline while trying to return from small-scale injuries.
“That’s the game,” cornerback Amik Robertson said. “You want to run away from that bug, but that’s the game. Next-man-up mentality.”
On the offensive line, center Nick Allegretti missed Thursday’s practice and will be held out of Saturday’s preseason game against the Detroit Lions due to calf tightness. Imaging did not show any major concerns, Quinn said, but the team is easing him back to the field after he missed several training camp sessions due to a strain on the same area of his leg.
Allegretti transitioned from guard to center after the Commanders released two-year starter Tyler Biadasz in the spring. But the new snapper’s adjustment has been clouded by injuries.
Advertisement Advertisement
“For sure, there’s some [concern]. Anytime you’re not getting a lot of reps for a whole training camp, that’s a big deal,” Quinn said. “You want time on task. The silver lining of the [calf] imaging is that there was no setback in that space; it’s just not quite there yet.”
Injuries aren’t a new consideration for the Commanders. Quarterback Jayden Daniels and receiver Terry McLaurin were hurt in the 2025 campaign, resulting in a disappointing 5-12 finish. Washington lacked depth behind the top-line players, a mistake that Quinn is desperate to avoid this season.
“It definitely shaped some thinking,” Quinn said, noting that players deeper on the roster have received more practice reps. “So, when a person is out of practice here … I just tend to shift to say, where is this roster? Who’s the next backup? That would be my big takeaway. The person who is going in, have they seen enough?”
That principle extended from practice to last week’s preseason opener against the Miami Dolphins. More than two dozen players, largely starters, sat out the game to avoid injury.
Advertisement Advertisement
Quinn’s plan for Detroit — including Daniels’ status — is still to be determined. The coach noted that he would decide by Thursday night which starters would play, and for how long.
The players largely want to take the field in Detroit.
“It’s a game. Just like any other game,” said running back Jacory Croskey-Merritt. “It’s always good when you can showcase your talents. That’s how I’m looking at it: Just show what I can do.”
“We’re ready to go out there and compete,” Robertson said.
Advertisement Advertisement
The Commanders are rapidly approaching the end of training camp. Two practices remain — a solo session on Tuesday, plus Wednesday’s joint practice with the Ravens in Baltimore — before Quinn and company reduce the 90-man roster to 53 players.
Contact the author
Liam Griffin
Follow author updates Follow Click to follow. Manage followed authors