Unitec's Mt Albert campus evacuated over threat
· RNZThe Mt Albert campus of Unitec was evacuated after a bomb threat was received - one of a series of threats possibly sent from overseas, police say.
Police assessed the situation supported by the campus's security team, the head of the incident management team for MIT and Unitec Dan Brady said in a statement on Friday.
Students, staff and the community were the top priority, he said.
"We have received the all-clear for our operations to resume at the site.
"However, schools have the option to deliver online today to minimise any further disruption to learning caused by this incident. Normal services will resume from tomorrow."
Police knew of several threatening emails sent to various locations across Auckland this week, Detective Inspector Glenn Baldwin, Auckland City CIB said.
"The indication is that these threats are not genuine.
"Preliminary enquiries suggest these emails have originated from outside of New Zealand."
Detective Inspector Baldwin said the emails and threats were "concerning", and detectives were treating them seriously.
An inquiry had been launched, with input from the Cybercrime team and staff in other police districts across Tāmaki Makaurau.
Anyone with information could contact police via 105 online or by phone, using the file number 260521/6750.
Earlier today, a Unitec staff member said they were worried about the evacuation.
The person said police and ambulances were on site.
Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.