India reaffirms resolve to counter cross-border terrorism

by · Northlines

NEW DELHI, AUGUST 18: India on Tuesday reaffirmed its resolve to counter all forms of terrorism, particularly cross-border terrorism, after Pakistan rejected allegations linking it to the alleged ISI-backed Shahzad Bhatti terror network.

 

External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said India had suffered heavily due to terrorism and would continue taking all necessary measures to defeat the threat.

 

“India has been hit hard by terrorism,” Jaiswal said, adding that the country had worked to strengthen global efforts against terrorism, including cross-border terrorism.

 

The remarks came after Union Home Minister Amit Shah said more than 200 operatives of the alleged ISI-backed Shahzad Bhatti Network had been arrested in coordinated operations across 14 states ahead of Independence Day. Security agencies also seized IEDs, grenades, pistols, ammunition and CCTV cameras allegedly used for espionage, Shah had said.

 

Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry rejected the allegations, with its spokesperson Tahir Andrabi terming them “baseless” and accusing India of attempting to divert attention from its domestic security challenges.

 

Jaiswal said the Indian government’s position on the terror network and related security concerns remained unchanged.

 

On the situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, Jaiswal said it was serious and that people there needed the “sympathy and solidarity” of the international community. He alleged that several people had been killed or injured during a crackdown by Pakistani security forces and that restrictions had also affected supplies of essential commodities.

 

He said the international community should extend support to the people of the region.