Spain to care for lone migrant children, as EU Commission joins far-right calls to send them back

by · EUobserver

“If Morocco is a country fit to jointly organise a football world cup it must also be a country fit to care for its minors,” Ceuta’s president Juan Jesús Vivas (r) said on Wednesday (19 August) (Source: Junta de Andalucía)

EU and the World

Unlock article and share
By Gaia Neiman,

Spain has agreed to temporarily transfer 500 vulnerable minors to its mainland from Ceuta, three days after the EU Commission joined rightwing Spanish politicians in calls for all migrants there to be sent back to Morocco. 

The fate of migrant children sleeping on Ceuta’s streets in their thousands has been the subject of polarising debate in Madrid: One one hand, Spanish law mandates automatic state protection of unaccompanied minors, but on the other hand, a rightwing-dominated parliament has called for all irregular arrivals to be returned.

And the EU weighed into the toxic situation on Monday (18 August), taking the side of the right.

“The expectation is that all those who remain in Ceuta illegally will be returned,” commission spokesperson Markus Lammert said, referring specifically to the unaccompanied children and teenagers still in Spain’s North African enclave. 

But Lammert’s views aside, the Spanish Immigration Act says such minors ought to be placed under the care of the child-protection services of the autonomous community where they arrived.

Spain’s interior ministry said there were 2,500 children in that situation in Ceuta since 30 July, when tens of thousands of people, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa, entered the enclave.

Charity Save the Children estimated the figure was 4,000 and said most of them were sleeping on the streets, due to lack of space in child-reception facilities. 

Even using the smaller Spanish number, that was still "75 times more than the city's capacity can take on, which is designed to accommodate only 29 minors," a spokesperson from the Spanish Commission for Refugees (CEAR) told EUobserver.

And so Madrid is negotiating with regional authorities on the Spanish mainland to take on the care of some of them, starting with 500 of those in the most vulnerable situations, most of whom are young girls.

Ceuta is still expected to accommodate 500 minors, despite its limited resources.

To read this story, log in or subscribe

Enjoy access to all articles and 25 years of archives, comment and gift articles. Become a subscriber for as low as €1,75 per week.

Read without limits
Already a subscriber? Login
Unlock article and share

Latest from Migration

Amnesty demands EU stops ‘outsourcing asylum’ and accuses Meloni of authoritarian tricks to push Albania deal

Denmark’s ‘socialist’ leader is a race-baiting fake, not an EU model

Latest from Morocco

Ceuta border battles show how EU is funding anti-migrant brutality

Morocco emboldened by strong US ties, amid fears of second migrant surge into Spanish enclaves

Latest from Spain

Europe’s 2026 wildfires show the cost of ignoring prevention

Ceuta crisis showed EU gave too much power to Morocco

Latest from EU and the World

EU raises alarm on election irregularities in Zambia, chief recipient of Global Gateway money

Ukrainian spy chief predicts Putin’s plans: missile terrorism and Donbas meat-grinding (Ukraine Battlefield update, Day 1,638)

“If Morocco is a country fit to jointly organise a football world cup it must also be a country fit to care for its minors,” Ceuta's president Juan Jesús Vivas (r) said on Wednesday (19 August) (Source: Junta de Andalucía)

Topics

Author Bio

Gaia Neiman is a migration and politics reporter at EUobserver. She has previously written for Reuters, The Guardian, The Telegraph, among others.

+ Follow author by email