US resumes blockade on Iranian ports as Trump reverses 20% toll plan
The United States resumes its naval blockade on Iranian ports, a move President Donald Trump details as a strategic shift from previous plans. Miad Maleki, a former senior U.S. Treasury official, discusses the economic and geopolitical implications of this decision. Trump emphasizes the importance of Gulf States contributing to security in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran loses key economic lifeline in Middle East that Trump's sanctions couldn't reach as deadlock persists

by · Fox News

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The United Arab Emirates suspended all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran after accusing Tehran of firing ballistic missiles toward maritime traffic.

The action severs one of the Islamic Republic’s most important commercial and financial links and threatens to close off an economic route President Donald Trump's sanctions have struggled to reach. It also further deepens Iran’s isolation amid its standoff with the U.S.

The UAE supplied 31% of Iran’s imports, valued at roughly $21 billion, in 2024, and was the destination for 13% of its exports, according to World Trade Organization trade data.

IRAN DEAL CLOCK HITS ZERO AS TRUMP DEMANDS ‘WHITE FLAG’ WITH NEW PRESSURE CAMPAIGN LOOMING

A vessel is anchored off the coast of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, on Aug. 3, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)

Miad Maleki, a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies and former Treasury official, said the UAE is one of Tehran’s two key economic lifelines.

"The UAE and China are Iran's two economic bloodlines. If UAE is serious about its economic embargo against Iran, then it'll close the one the U.S. Navy couldn't touch," Malek wrote on X.

KEY CHINA-IRAN INFRASTRUCTURE EXPOSES CRITICAL HOLE IN TRUMP'S WAR STRATEGY

Maleki said Dubai has become Tehran’s gateway to global commerce, with third-country goods routed through the emirate to Iran. "Most of what Iran calls ‘imports from the UAE’ was never Emirati. Dubai has been basically Iran's window to the world economy," he said.

The UAE Foreign Ministry said the measures would remain in place "until further notice," citing a regional escalation that it said undermined peace and security.

Emirati officials said two ballistic missiles launched from Iran fell into the sea and were targeting maritime navigation. Iran denied responsibility, with its foreign ministry deeming the accusation as "baseless." Spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the UAE’s claim ran counter to good-neighborliness and referred to what he called a history of "multiple false-flag operations" in the region.

Dubai has also served as an important conduit for Iranian financial networks facing U.S. sanctions.

An Emirates aircraft prepares for landing as a smoke plume rises from an ongoing fire near Dubai International Airport in Dubai on March 16, 2026. Flights were gradually resuming at Dubai airport on March 16, previously the world's busiest for international flights, the airport operator said, after a "drone-related incident" sparked a fuel tank fire nearby, as Iran kept up its Gulf attacks (AFP via Getty Images)

Earlier this month, the U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned Dubai-based exchange houses and trading fronts it said helped Iranian networks move hundreds of millions of dollars and recover revenue from oil sales.

The Treasury said this action advanced President Donald Trump’s maximum-pressure policy, though neither Washington nor Abu Dhabi has said the UAE’s new trade freeze was coordinated with the U.S. campaign.

IRAN FAILS TO STRIKE DEAL WITH US AS DEADLINE PASSES AND TRUMP CALLS FOR ‘WHITE FLAG OF SURRENDER'

The UAE’s move to suspend trade comes at a time when U.S.-Iran diplomacy has again broken down due to disputes over the Strait of Hormuz, the strategic waterway that had carried roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas before the war started earlier this year.

A deadlock again emerged this week after Monday's 60-day deadline came and went with no new deal on the table.

A UAE navy ship sails next to a cargo ship in the Strait of Hormuz as seen from Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Trump said Tuesday that no talks with Iran were underway or planned after a 60-day window for a broader agreement expired.

He also said the U.S. naval blockade remained in effect and insisted the strait was "open and operating," while Iran maintained it would remain closed until Washington lifted oil sanctions, ended its blockade of Iranian ports and met other conditions.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

A day earlier, Trump posted a map on Truth Social labeling the Strait of Hormuz "NEW U.S. Territory," escalating the dispute over control of the strategic waterway.