Israel intercepts all boats, forcibly detains activists
· RTE.ieThe organisers of an aid flotilla which was en route to Gaza have confirmed that all boats have been intercepted in the eastern Mediterranean with all 428 participants being forcibly detained by Israel.
Fifteen Irish citizens were sailing as part of the aid flotilla, including Dr Margaret Connolly, the sister of President Catherine Connolly.
Israel's foreign ministry said the activists had been transferred to Israeli vessels and were en route to Israel.
It comes after Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels in an aid flotilla sailing towards Gaza yesterday, according to video footage and flotilla organisers.
The flotilla was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid to Gaza after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel in international waters.
Video from the flotilla's livestream showed soldiers firing shots at two of the boats. The type of ammunition fired was not clear.
Israel said no live ammunition was used and there were no casualties, claiming non-lethal means were employed as a warning.
The Global Sumud Flotilla said that all 50 boats in the flotilla had been intercepted in the eastern Mediterranean, with 428 participants from more than 40 countries forcibly detained, including 78 Turks.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said yesterday that it is "wrong" and "unacceptable" that Irish citizens have been detained by Israeli forces.
He said the behaviour of Israel in international waters against the aid flotilla is "unacceptable" and that people have a right to protest and take part in a mission to highlight the "shocking" humanitarian issue in Gaza.
He said the issue will be raised at EU level alongside issues pertaining to Gaza and the West Bank.
Speaking in Ankara late on Monday, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan condemned the intervention against the "voyagers of hope" in the flotilla and called on the international community to act against Israel's actions.
Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for a third time on Thursday from southern Turkey, after earlier attempts to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.
The group said previously there were 426 people taking part in the flotilla from 39 countries.
The United States Treasury said it was imposing sanctions against four people associated with what it described as the "pro-Hamas" flotilla.
Pro-Palestinian activists say Israel and the US wrongly conflate their advocacy for Palestinian rights with support for Hamas militants.
Palestinians and international aid bodies say supplies reaching Gaza are still insufficient, despite a ceasefire agreed in October that included guarantees of increased aid.
Most of Gaza's more than 2 million people have been displaced, many now living in bombed-out homes and makeshift tents pitched on open ground, roadsides, or atop the ruins of destroyed buildings.
Israel, which controls all access to the Gaza Strip, denies withholding supplies for its residents.
Israel's occupation of Gaza and the West Bank is illegal under international law, as stated by an advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice in July 2024.