Belgian former car salesman, 26, quietly becomes a prince

· UPI

Aug. 20 (UPI) -- Belgium has a new prince after the 26-year-old former car salesman was recognized by the king's brother as his son.

Clement Vandenkerkhove reportedly joined the royal family in February in a low-key town hall ceremony, which was disclosed Wednesday. The ceremony was required for him to become a prince.

Prince Laurent, King Philippe's younger brother, last year publicly acknowledged Vandenkerckhove, who was born during Laurent's seven-year relationship with Flemish former model turned singer Iris Vandenkerckhove.

The younger Vandenkerckhove now has a royal title and a claim to an inheritance after Prince Laurent, 62. He is not included in the line of succession and will not receive a royal allowance.

Vandenkerckhove told Belgian daily Nieuwsblad that he was unsure if he would adopt the royal name of van Saksen-Coburg. "I am proud of the name Vandenkerck­hove," he said. "Sacrificing that surname would be a betrayal to everything my mother did for me."

Vandenkerckhove said he suffered anxiety as a child over his identity.

"My whole childhood I struggled with the question, 'Who is my father?' When I knew, the secrecy weighed heavily on me," he told the newspaper. "Imagine: You know who your father is, but you aren't allowed to tell anyone. After school, I became a car salesman. I liked that job and did it well. But panic attacks were destroying me."

He said the anxiety eased after he established a relationship with Prince Laurent.

"What matters most to me right now is that I am a son who is allowed to get to know his father," Vandenkerckhove said, adding that the men share a love of cars.

Prince Laurent later married British-born Claire Louise Coombs, and they have three children.

Read More